Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

India calls show unknown number everytime

EswarYadav
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Guys,I've a situation :

everytime I call friends/family back at home, India, instead of showing up my number, it's showing various invalid irregular numbers to them each and everytime just like a VOIP call or so. Any idea on this ?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello EswarYadav,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, the phenomenon you note isn't solely an issue with Fido (see here and here). When making International calls, the calls often go through multiple exchanges before reaching your intended recipient. Some providers in other Countries charge additional costs for calls which originate from outside their border (see here). As a result, some operators may route the calls as domestic calls so billing is at a lower rate. And no, Fido is not making that decision. As such, the numbers shown on your recipient's callerID would likely show as a local number rather than your number

In this case, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) hiked the fees on incoming International calls (see here).

The International Termination Charges (ITC) is paid by an Indian International Long-Distance Operator (ILDO), who carries the call from outside of India, to the access provider in the Country in whose network the call terminates. ~ taken from here.

So the ILDO is likely routing the calls as domestic in order to avoid the additional costs. The receiving Country has complete discretion as to how they route and transfer calls to the designated recipient's provider.

Since the calls might go through multiple exchanges before reaching your recipient, International calls might be charged regardless of whether the call had completed (see Terms of Service; section 3g). The charges might incur without the call actually connecting because the calls still pass through those operators. The charges would be at the discretion of the operators and providers in the receiving Country. If there are charges for the calls from the receiving Country, those calls would be charged for the International long-distance by the calling party's provider.

You should note that this is the community forum and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you wished to discuss the matter you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers