cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Prepaid Roaming

mirzadaasghar
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am a Fido postpaid customer. I am going to start travelling acrros south america next year and I am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to keep receiving one time password text messages from banks and other apps. Please suggest if the following makes sense. If not, please suggest.

1: Switch my number from postpaid to cheapest pre-paid plan of $15

2: Receive free incoming text messages when abroad? I am not sure if prepaid number can get incoming messages when traveling and if any roaming add-on is required. 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mirzadaasghar,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, have you verified that your device is compatible with the networks in the Countries you plan on visiting? In addition, you might consider verifying Fido has roaming options in those Countries. You can verify the Countries and the roaming rates here.

As far as I am aware, you should be able to switch to the Talk&Text pre-paid monthly plan and receive SMS abroad (see here). It should be noted that roaming data is not available with pre-paid plans and therefore MMS would not be possible. Pre-paid roaming is on a pay-per-use basis. You should also note that transferring your post-paid services to pre-paid services would require a migration fee.

You should also note that if you choose to switch back to post-paid services, there would also be a migration fee for that transfer. In addition, if your current plan is not available upon your return, you will not be able to regain it. You will need to choose an in-market plan when you switch back to post-paid.

In order to migrate your services, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers