cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only plan SIM blocked on smartphone?

Fineyan
I'm a participant level 2

I read the thread about the data-only plan sim card using on a smartphone. It seems until last Tuesday it's still no problem. But I can not use my data only sim card on an LG G8 ThinQ. 

Did Fido change policy to forbid data only plan sim card using on a smartphone?

3 REPLIES 3

Fineyan

I contacted customer service. It's said Fido banned customers using data only sim card on the smartphone.  

Does the carrier have the right to decide how customers use their service?  

Hello Fineyan,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, I think some clarification is required. The other thread to which you replied, here, refers to Fido's Tablet Plan. It is often referred to in these forums as the data-only plan. For a long time, that plan used to be the only plan which did not include Talk or Text. However, Fido now offers other data-only plans (ie no Talk included) (see here). I assume those plans are available for use with smartphones. I suppose they're technically Data & Text plans...

The Tablet plan was intended as an additional data-only option for eligible post-paid customers only. However, people found loopholes which soon became exploited. If someone were to find the right customer service agent, people without eligible post-paid plans were able to get that Tablet plan. Others found that they could use the SIM in smartphones rather than a tablet. People have even tried to get it for their smartwatches... Look on social media, people openly brag about what they've been able to get away with.

Now that Fido offers other data-only options (presumably for smartphones), it appears as though they've begun to close the loopholes. There's a reason we can't add a Tablet plan ourselves online -- it can only be added with customer service assistance. They need to ensure we also have an eligible post-paid plan. In addition, it used to be that Talk and Text could be used on a pay-per-use basis with that plan (unintended usage via smartphone). I believe they've also restricted those usages too. And from what you mentioned, they've closed the smartphone usage loophole as well. The Tablet plan is one of Fido's product offerings. It has always been intended for use with Tablets. They can certainly decide to close any loopholes which may have been exploited.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

mtlrichard
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Definition of what is a tablet and what is a phone is blury plus I doubt the CRTC allows carriers to setup discriminatory rules for marketing purpose.