Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

VoLTE.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR FULL LIST OF COMPATIBLE PHONES

Hey everyone,

Fido just launched VoLTE! What is that you ask? With VoLTE (Voice over LTE) you can make High Definition voice and video calls just as easily as a regular call over the Fido LTE network. No app, no new user ID – it’s all built in! Your voice and video calls will now connect in the blink of an eye between two compatible phones! To top it all off, VoLTE Video Calls within Canada are free with Fido Pulse™ plans. If you do not have a Fido Pulse plan, video calls made to numbers outside of your local calling area will be rated at $0.35 a minute.

So, what’s so cool about this? Calls are crisp, clear and natural-sounding. Whether it’s a voice call or a video call, only the minutes from your plan will be used; not your data! Finally, you’ll now be able to browse the web and watch videos at lightning fast LTE data speeds while you talk!

You don’t need to add anything to your account or plan – it’s all done with a quick software update on compatible phones! The LG G Stylo is the first one to be VoLTE ready with more phones coming later Smiley

This is how easy it is to place a video call or to convert a voice call to a video call:

VoLTEen.JPG

Have questions? We have answers… well at least to the questions we came up with.

Q: What do you need in order to use VoLTE?

A: A monthly account, an LTE SIM card, a VoLTE compatible phone and, of course, LTE coverage.

Q: What happens if I try to place a video call to someone who doesn’t have a VoLTE phone?

A: The call will be placed and treated as a regular voice call and not a video call.

Q: Can I make a video call even if I don’t have a data plan?

A: Yes, data plans are not required to complete a VoLTE video call.

Q: Why doesn’t VoLTE work on my phone?

A: Only VoLTE compatible phones can take advantage of this enhancement.

Let us know what you think!

- FidoStephen

21 Comments
IndyV72
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Have it now with my Samsung S6, but don't know anyone personally so far that has it Sad

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Any indication of when iPhones will be allowed to access this feature? Seems odd to leave out users of what is likely the most popular phone you sell, or close to it.

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey 10yearfido! 

We don't have any info on that yet. Keep an eye on our website for any upcoming info Smiley 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello All,

As far as I am aware, the Galaxy S5 was supposed to have the hardware for voLTE but required an update from the provider before it could be used (see here and here; and that was KitKat). Has Fido/Rogers released an update as well? I have been reluctant to update to Lollipop, perhaps it was incorporated in that update? Or will be when 5.1.1 comes out? If not, could Fido please consider providing an update so S5 users can also benefit from the voLTE service? Thank you! Smiley

Cheers

FidoStephen

Hey Cawtau! I'm looking into it and I'll let you know when I hear back Smiley

FidoStephen

@Cawtau So I just heard back, and it has yet to be confirmed as to whether or not the S5 will be getting VoLTE. I'll be sure to let you know if I get any updates!

dougalco
I'm a participant level 3

I have the Sony Xperia model C5306. Is it compatible? Will it ever be?

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey dougalco!

The Sony Xperia SP is not compatible with VoLTE. 

Hope this helps. 

dougalco

That does not help much, but thanks anyway. It seems that only the Samsungs are compatible. That would need to be for both ends, I assume.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @dougalco!

The phones we offer that are compatible with VoLTE are the LG G Stylo, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 EDGE, S7, S7 EDGE, and the iPhone 6s/6s Plus.

Cheers! Smiley

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

With the Marshmallow update for the Galaxy S5 due to arrive in the near future, could voLTE (and Wifi calling) be implemented in that update please? Thanks! Smiley

Cheers

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We can't give you the details until the update is all up and running Wink

Stay tuned!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello @FidoAlyson,

I understand you can't give details, I wasn't looking for details. I was asking (hoping) to have this request passed along to the people responsible for the update before it is all up and running so they might incorporate into the update Smiley

Cheers

FidoKenny

@Cawtau 

Absolutely Smiley

I will make sure to forward this to the people in charge.

Hopefuly, this will be incorporated in the new update Smiley It would be great !!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Sadly, neither voLTE nor Wifi calling were implemented in the Marshmallow update for the Galaxy S5 Sad

mma678
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

How can I activate VoLTE on my S7 Edge? Thanks.

@FidoStephen wrote:

VoLTE.jpg

Hey everyone,

Fido just launched VoLTE! What is that you ask? With VoLTE (Voice over LTE) you can make High Definition voice and video calls just as easily as a regular call over the Fido LTE network. No app, no new user ID – it’s all built in! Your voice and video calls will now connect in the blink of an eye between two compatible phones! To top it all off, VoLTE Video Calls within Canada are free with Fido Pulse™ plans. If you do not have a Fido Pulse plan, video calls made to numbers outside of your local calling area will be rated at $0.35 a minute.

So, what’s so cool about this? Calls are crisp, clear and natural-sounding. Whether it’s a voice call or a video call, only the minutes from your plan will be used; not your data! Finally, you’ll now be able to browse the web and watch videos at lightning fast LTE data speeds while you talk!

You don’t need to add anything to your account or plan – it’s all done with a quick software update on compatible phones! The LG G Stylo is the first one to be VoLTE ready with more phones coming later Smiley

This is how easy it is to place a video call or to convert a voice call to a video call:

VoLTEen.JPG

Have questions? We have answers… well at least to the questions we came up with.

Q: What do you need in order to use VoLTE?

A: A monthly account, an LTE SIM card, a VoLTE compatible phone and, of course, LTE coverage.

Q: What happens if I try to place a video call to someone who doesn’t have a VoLTE phone?

A: The call will be placed and treated as a regular voice call and not a video call.

Q: Can I make a video call even if I don’t have a data plan?

A: Yes, data plans are not required to complete a VoLTE video call.

Q: Why doesn’t VoLTE work on my phone?

A: Only VoLTE compatible phones can take advantage of this enhancement.

Let us know what you think!

- FidoStephen

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey mma678!

You can activate VoLTE by following these steps:

- From your home screen, press the Phone icon.
- Tap More on the top right corner.
- Scroll down and tap on Settings. 
- Tap on VoLTE.
- Make sure that Use VoLTE when available is checked.

Hope this helps!

andresley20
I'm a participant level 1

We have Canadian Long distance included in our plans; can we then use LD voLTE within Canada without incurring additional charges?

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @andresley20! All VoLTE calls are treated as traditional voice calls & will be deducted from the minutes offered in your current plan. That said, if you have Canadian long-distance included, it will cover these calls too.

Cheers! Smiley

nkalra

Hi,

Recently ported my number to Fido and was wandering if I could get the VOLTE (Video) over LTE on my iPhone 6S.

I just finished chat session with one of the csrp and the guy enabled the Voice over LTE for myself and now when I am placing a call my backgroud data- LTE doesn't fall back to 3G so it does has the Voice over LTE.

Curious to know do I need an software update to get the video calling button in my dial pad ? and to whom should I request to get software update ?