Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Hey @phayze! We're really sorry to read about what happened. You may also forward the content of the SMS to 7726 (SPAM) to have it investigated and blocked from Fido network. If Fido was to credit you, you would see it directly on your account, we would never be asking for your banking information through SMS. 

floydus27
I'm a participant level 2

fraud309030385_822214245576739_7539946156117589170_n.png

Je n'est pas d'accès D lol Smiley

JoshuaEMa
I'm a participant level 1

Hi Everyone. I just got a Text Msg titled "FIDO MMS*"

It states

"We have been listening to our customers from across the country who have told us how significant the impacts of the outage were for them. We know that we need to earn back their trust, and as a first step we have sent a $90.00 compensation to all our valued clients. Get it here:"

Then it gives a link to a web address that is very suspiscious looking. I am convinced this is Fraud/ Philshing or w/e. The number that it was sent from is 1-514-513-7083 This is not a number that Fido would use to communicate with anyone. It will either come up as FIDO or ROGERS or be a 5 digit number unavailable to the general public. 

If you get this text DO NOT CLICK the Link in the text.

If you have the time or know the proper number to call (FIDO) you can report the text as suspiscious.

I was unable to find that method or number to do so.

Sincerely KGR

August 2nd 2022

fariha_reza

@Cawtau I have received a spam message from 16473304406

Screenshot_20220730-154821_Messages.jpg

saying:

FlDO MSG*
Clients, we appreciate your help. For server maintenance on the 8th of july, each of our customers gets $50 CAD.
See:
http://4pou.short.gy/FlDO-50INDEMN

*Charges may apply.

Hello Fariha_reza,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that messages is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. As mentioned in the solution, you can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. Fido will automatically credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

DD66

I just received the same msg. I deleted it as I sure it's spam

LM3914

Got the following text from a phone number.

Message from Fido:

We have accidentally billed you extra because of third-party charges, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and will give a settlement of $50.00 CAD. Reply Y to get funds deposited

I forwarded it to *7726 got no confirmation reply and then the same message came to me from *7726

Wouldn't Fido just automatically credited my account if this was true?

sosgxhsleywg

so many scam texts. on top of the million that fido sends every day. incredibly annoying.

Edu-Mtl
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I received this message this week.

it is a Scam. 

The url address at the bottom looks legitimate.

(I removed the dots of the url)

Nous, chez Fido, nous apprécions la fidélité de nos clients. On vous offre une récompense de $65:

interac fido-recompenses com

jonathan8754

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Possibly another Scam, could you confirm ??

Hello Jonathan8754,

Happy New Year and Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for the information! That message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed provided with credit, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

LM3914

I think they just did learn to get past those codes

Screenshot_20220510-094936_Messages.jpg

Hey @jonathan8754,

This definitely wouldn't be coming from Fido. 

If ever money is owed to you from us, it wouldn't be sent by an e-transfer. It would be sent by a cheque if your account is cancelled or added as a credit balance to your bill.

Hope this helps! 

Mark787

Be on alert 

Number - +1(780)254 0124

Rceived Spam Message - 

INTERAC e-Transfer:
You've been refunded a total amount of 67.82 due to an overcharge on your last bills. Follow the steps below to accept your funds.
https://interac3r.com

The Deposit process will take 48 hours due to security reasons.

08/10

Hey @Mark787,

Welcome to the Community! 

This is definitely not from Fido so be sure to forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) and avoid clicking on the link. You can then safely delete the message.

As a general rule, all your charges and credits will be available on your Fido invoice. This can be accessed on Fido.ca at all times, and we will never send you a suspicious link to click on.

You can find more information on scam text messages here: https://fido.ly/37QPQt4

Hope this clarifies, and let us know if you have any questions.

Pirata

Hi, any reason why I can't forward the pspam messages anymore. It's text with a url but it says it's an MMS.

Screenshot_20210826-135700_Messages.jpg

Hello Pirata,

Thanks for the information! The SPAM reporting centre is not able to receive MMS messages .I understand that the message appears to only contain text. However, you should note that MMS isn't limited to picture or video messages. In this instance, the inclusion of a Subject header (similar to email) will be considered MMS as well (even if the header is left 'blank'). In order to be able to forward the message to 7726, you would need to first remove the Subject header prior to sending the message.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the spammers/scammers have caught on to message reporting as most of the SPAM messages I now receive are MMS as well. Removing the header will allow the rest of the message to be forwarded as SMS.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

mikeyjpas
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

I've been getting multiple spam text messages daily , all from the same phone number

The body of the text is:

Votre mode de paiement à été refusé . bit.ly/3vyzj9e

The link at the end changes with each text message, but the phone number it comes from stays the same.

I tried "blocking caller" on the iphone, but the texts still get through.

I have forwarded the message to 7726 to report the spam - not sure if they look at the text only, or if they also get the phone number it is coming from. I did a carrier lookup and it is a Rogers number.

Can anything be done?

Hello @mikeyjpas,

We can't block the number from our end. You did well to report the number to 7726. That would be the only you have to have this looked into. 

Wimski

I recd this: 

FlDO BlLL DEPARTMENT***.
Due to a mistake on your last phone bill on the 8th of May, we are offering you a cash-back of $60 CAD to make up for this inconvenience on our part.
Get hold of it here:
http://213.255.227.122

Data rates may apply*

This came from number 19023152288

Take care not to get ****ed by these guys.

Thanks for the heads-up @Wimski and welcome to the community. Smiley

I added your post to our spam thread!