cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone with Talk & Text... can't text without wifi or cellular data???

fitzpayne
I'm a participant level 3

I just bought my son an iPhone SE with the Talk & Text plan no cellular data in his plan. Cellular Data is switched off in the settings, SMS is on in Messages. I have tried all sorts of things in settings, logging out of the APPLE ID, etc. I am at a loss.

I am getting his texts on my iPhone but he is not receiving mine when he is away from wifi. I am aware there is a differenet connection between iPhones in messages but can he NOT text at all with this plan on an iPhone without wifi or Cellular Data? Otherwise WHY is the plan called Talk & Text if he can't text???

Is there another app he can use to text?

***Edited to add labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fitzpayne,

Welcome to the community!

It's possible that your phones are sending MMS rather than SMS. One of the iPhone options is to add a subject line. By adding a subject line though, you're sending/receiving a MMS rather than a SMS (see here). In order to send/receive MMS, data does need to be enabled.

I understand your son's plan does not include data. While sending/receiving MMS does require data to be enabled, it does not require a data plan to work. That is, it will still work with Talk & Text plans. One word of caution, however, if your son has his phone's data enabled, any systems or apps requiring other data will try to access it prompting text messages to purchase data.

**edit** That said, this does not explain why he is able to receive your texts when connected to Wifi. MMS does not get transmitted via Wifi. Are you sure you're not sending him an iMessage?**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

fitzpayne

When my son's iPhone has no wifi he is able to send a message in the Messages app that automatically switches to SMS when he has no wifi (his message goes out in a green bubble). His MMS is off in his settings but iMessages is left on and cellular data is off. I can receive his message no problem.

My iPhone iMessages is left on in the settings I have MMS set to off, but my iPhone still will always prioritze sending a imessage to his iPhone (in a blue bubble), so he is not getting my messages when he is away from wifi. If I go into settings and switch imessages off, then it forces it to send with SMS (green bubble) and then he gets the message when he has no wifi. Is that the only way to send him a message via SMS when he is away from wifi to physically go into settings and turn iMessages off every time? or perhaps there is another app we can download that ALWAYS only uses SMS so I don't have to be switching on and off.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hey @fitzpayne!

Not sure if you already checked, but does your son have "Send as SMS" turned on in the settings?

Let me know Smiley 

fitzpayne

Hi FidoSamantha! Yes he does have it set to that, we both do. "MMS" is also off on both. Seems to be fine on his end now as he can text out with SMS (green bubble). It is the settings on my iPhone that are not going out as SMS from my iPhone to his iPhone and therefore he is not receiving them. I am just trying to find an easier way to toggle between iMessages and SMS without having to switch the iMessage on and off in the settings each time. Thanks!

Hey @fitzpayne! Try out @nick67's suggestion and keep us posted! Smiley 

fitzpayne

Thanks everyone. We have set up his phone fine now, but if I want to text him while he is away from wifi I have to turn off iMessages otherwise it goes straight to his iPad and MacBook and bypasses the iPhone.

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley 

Let's start with the screenshots above - the reason you're not getting the option to send as text is because the iMessage was successfully delivered Smiley (see bottom of the last message you sent)

To clarify, the option to send as text when you hold down the message is still available - but only if you don't see the little "Delivered" message at the bottom. 

Is it possible that he's connected on another device and they're not syncing since he's not connected to data?

As for the settings in your phone - they seem fine to me - if you both have "Send as SMS" turned on, then there shouldn't be a problem Smiley 

Let me know!

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

I used to have similar problems when I had my iPhone 3GS and used it with a talk/text only plan. Simpliest solution is turn off iMessage all together on your son's iPhone. iMessage is getting confused when there is an inconsistent data connection, it attempts to send as iMessage but fails when he is absent from WIFI. In your case, it will be simpler if you turn off iMessage all together.

You can turn off iMessage by going to the Settings app > Messages > iMessage OFF. All messages will now be sent as SMS/text. I recommend restarting his iPhone and giving it 24 hours for Apple to deactivate iMessage -- your iPhone is used to sending iMessage and will have to "learn" his iPhone SE is now text only...give it time.

If, on ocassion, you wish to send a picture or video over WIFI, I recommend using WhatsApp, a free third-party messaging app.

Hello again,

I am not familiar enough with iOS apps to be able to recommend a separate texting app. However, after a quick search, you might be able to selectively choose to send message via SMS rather than iMessage without having to constantly turn it on/off. Apparently, after hitting Send (but before the message gets sent via iMessage), pressing and holding the message bubble will provide the option to Send as SMS (similar to copy/paste options). Additionally, you can also choose to resend any previous iMessage as SMS using the same method.

I'm not sure if it's iOS specific. If it doesn't work, you can try to search 'How to sent SMS rather than iMessage' for other tips.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

fitzpayne

I am using IOS 11.0.3 and that method of "pressing and holding the message bubble" is from older IOS. I get the this below when I try both methods you suggested above. When I hold it now this pops up...

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 3.53.39 PM.png

When I select "More..." I only have an option to delete parts of the conversation.. no other choices in "More..."

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 3.54.06 PM.png