cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (bought in India will work) please Help

Honestyrules
I'm a participant level 3

hi community members, this is my first post to Fido community please help. 

I'm planning to buy Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 [ZB601KL- 4A005IN]

India. I really like this phone and it's not available in Canadian Market yet . 

please tell me if I buy this phone will it work with Canadian Network right now I'm using Fido. Please check the snapshots pictures I'm attaching with this post . I do understand that some asian devices have some issues with LTE network. But I'm not heavy data user. If I put my Fido Sim in this phone will it work?

Will be very thankful for suggestion waiting for replies . 

IMG_20181007_154920.jpg

IMG_20181007_154716.jpg

IMG_20181007_154756.jpg

Asus ZENFONE Max Pro m1 :-

TechnologyGSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 40(2300)
SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps
GPRSYes
EDGEYes
9 REPLIES 9

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

hi

i found it is best to get the asus in canada store such as staples canada, at least the phone will work for sure  and you get warranty support as well.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Honestyrules,

Welcome to the community!

@Honestyrules wrote:...

Asus ZENFONE Max Pro m1 :-

Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 40(2300)
Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps
GPRS Yes
EDGE Yes

You should note that phone only has one compatible '3G' band/frequency, band 5 or 850MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone also has both compatible 2G bands/frequencies, Rogers plans to decommision the GSM network by December 31, 2020 (see here). Only having one '3G' band/frequency could affect the phone's ability to make/receive calls or send/receive messages once the GSM network has been decommissioned.

I understand you might not need LTE data. However, I detailed some things to consider regarding having a single compatible LTE band here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Honestyrules

Thanks @Cawtau & @KAPABLE-K for replying . 

If you guyz can give me your views on the snap shot and link i am posting here . 

Snapshot is From Asus International  website showing Models A and B. 

(Which one is mine ?)šŸ˜… I am so dumb

. And Link to WEBPAGE i will buy phone.  

Please give me final thoughts , should go for it right ? Coz sale starting tomorrow . 

Webpage and snapshot : HereIMG_20181008_154213.jpg

A or B

Hello again,

If I'm not mistaken, those specifications are from here.

A version

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

TDD-LTE (Band 40)

Supports VoLTE

WCDMA (Bands 1, 5, šŸ˜Ž

EDGE/GPRS/GSM (Bands 2, 3, 5, šŸ˜Ž

B version

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 18, 19, 26, 28)

TDD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)

Supports VoLTE, with 2CA

WCDMA (Bands 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 19)

EDGE/GPRS/GSM (Bands 2, 3, 5, šŸ˜Ž

Firstly identifying similarities... Both versions have both of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and only one compatible LTE band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz.

Version A only has one compatible '3G' band/frequency while Version B has both of the compatible '3G' bands/frequencies.

If you are content with a device with limited compatible LTE bands/frequencies, I think Version B would be the better choice between the two versions.

I personally, however, would not choose a phone with limited LTE bands/frequencies. As much as I have loved some of my previous international phones, there were occasions I had wished they were fully compatible with North American networks. As such, my current phone is a Canadian version device. So I wouldn't be the best person to tell you to go for it or not.

That said, I have not been able to determine which version (A or B ) is listed on that FlipKart website. They list the model number as ZB601KL-4D103IN. However, searching that model number does not provide any useful information. All of the found sites only state the supported networks and do not list supported bands/frequencies. You might consider contacting Asus directly to identify the actual model numbers for Version A and Version B.

It's also possible that many of those sites deliberately do not list band/frequency specifications because they ship whichever version they have in stock. You also might consider contacting those sites and enquire the specifications of the version they are offering.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Honestyrules

I am Using this phone and its working ok . Sometimes network loss . But over all ok .very good phone . 

Hello again,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the phone is working for you. Do you know which version of the phone you have?

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Honestyrules,

Welcome to the community!

According to the specs for the one from India on this site here, the phone has:

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2

HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 - India

LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 40(2300) - India

In order to work on Fido's network you need:

GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz.

To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:

• 700 MHz on Band 17;
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

Your phone will be okay for 2g and 3g but it only has one LTE band 7(2600). Depednig on where you are your LTE may or may not work because your phone will be limited to band 7.

Honestyrules

Thanks @KAPABLE-K ,

Thank you for replying. This really helped me . I apologize I forgot to mention i work and live in Vancouver. 

Most of the time downtown Vancouver. So you think I'll be fine right  ? I don't use data i use shawgo outside.  if I need in future I think I will be fine with 3-g only don't need the LTE or 4G. 

And I also found a link of coverage , what bands towers use individually. Link is here LINK ,i am not good in reading bands.  

Hello @Honestyrules,

Here is the map just showing the Rogers towers if you click on the towers in the area you will be it will tell you the frequencies of that tower.

By the looks of it there is a mixture of 2100 and 2600 for the LTE, if you do not have or need data then you will be fine. Also you will need to configure the APN settings for the phone you can get the required settings for Fido here.