Home phone problems

I'm a Contributor Level 1 mrgroot
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Home phone problems

Since Thursday I am having a recurring problem with my Fido home phone.... sometimes with incoming calls the handset doesn't ring and the caller goes straight to voicemail (tested with tested with four different phone lines), and for outgoing calls nothing happens, I just get a busy signal (on phones that are active and not busy, this was tested with two different cell phones). The problem definitely is not the cordless handset because I swapped out with another one and still had the same problem. After switching off the modem a few times without success I pulled the battery out and pulled the power plug and that seemed to fix the problem....but then it came back. Based on this, it seems to me the problem lies with either the modem and/or the sim card. What do I do?

***Edited to add Labels***

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 15

Re: Home phone problems

Hey @mrgroot and thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to see that you're having so much trouble with your home phone.

I do see that you mentioned trying to unplug the modem and removing the battery as well. Did you get a chance to remove and put back in the sim card?

And you said you switched modems already. Were your old modems giving you the same issue?

Let me know.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 15

Thanks FidoKenny. Indeed I did also yank the sim card and reinsert. Sorry if I was not clear, this is my first home phone modem... should I bring the modem in to Fido?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 15
Former Moderator FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hey @mrgroot

Do you get a busy signal with all of your outgoing calls? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 15

At the moment, yes 😐
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 15
Former Moderator

Thanks for confirming! 

Are you using the SIM card for the Home Phone line in the device or a mobile SIM card? You should have 4 lights displayed if it's plugged in. Are all 4 lights on? 

Also, can you tell me the color of the reception lights on the right side of your device? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 15

It's the home phone SIM. The lights that are lit are the power indicator, the battery status, and reception/signal strength. All are green, signal strength is max.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
Former Moderator

Thanks! Have you tried plugging your phone into the second jack on the Wireless Home Phone device? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 15
Moderator (inactive) FidoChristina
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @mrgroot

Did that help? Let us know if this has been resolved and what steps you took Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 15

Hi Fido Christina, fortunately (unfortunately?) the modem seems to be working normally once again on jack 1, so haven't had a chance to test your latest solution but I will for sure keep it in mind and come back here if the problem surfaces again. Thank you!
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 like
  • 8 in conversation