Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to upgrade phone, looking to keep existing plan

Daniel326
I'm a participant level 2

My current monthly paln is: 

• 150 Weekday Minutes (8am to 7pm)
  • Unlimited Evening and Weekend Minutes (Evenings from 7pm)
  • Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • Call Waiting
  • Conference Call

• 6GB Data Option

Neither of wich I want to change/alter. That being said I need to replace my old iPhone 4S with a newer model if at all possible. What are my options? Can I be forced to give up my existing plan(s) in order to update? (Last resort) Could I upgrade if I bring in or purchase outright a newer model iPhone?

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Daniel326,

Welcome to the community!

If you want to upgrade you phone and keep your existing plan it all depends and the type of plan you have, if you have a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) plan then you will need to change the plan in order to get a subsidy on the new phone.

If your current plan falls under any of Fido's new tab structure small, medium or large then you can get a new phone and the upfront cost would depend on which category your plan falls under.

If you buy the phone outright then you do not need to change your plan.

Daniel326

Thanks for the quick reply and friendly welcome @KAPABLE-K.

To be more clear I have not altered and or changed my plan pretty much since I first signed/picked-up my iPhone 4S, which is to say over 6 or so years ago best to my recollection anyway. Went into Fido at Eaton Centre many years ago upgraded from original iPhone 3G to iphone 4S and I have not physically or electronically altered or changed my phone plan since! I believe I fall outside the scope of any existing plans. I have no/zero  Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) to my knowledge/understanding. My current plan is exactly as mentioned in my original post.

To best sum up:

• Old phone dead/unusable
  • Require new phone only (if at all possible)
  • Satisfied with the current service plan (overwhelmingly strong desire to keep it as is, no/zero changes)
  • First I have ever heard of Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) So I know zero/nothing about it. 
  • Just pay my bill on a monthly basis. (have been doing this for many years without issues/problems)
  • Willing to sign a new contract so long as my current service can be kept intact without alterations (again if at all possible)
  • Need to learn if or how my current plan falls under Fido's new tab structure.

@Daniel326 BYOP plans generally have a cheaper monthly rate because there is no subsidy for a phone and if you have a BYOP plan then you can never get a subsidy on a phone with those plans.

To do a quick test to see if you can get a subsidy for a new phone login to your MY ACCOUNT section on fido.ca then click on the phone number you want to upgrade on the next page scroll tot he bottom then click on UPGRADE MY DEVICE then select the phone you want on the next page look to your right and click on keep existing plan and if your only option is NO Tab then your plan is now considered a BYOP plan.

Edit: You can also click on change plan and you will see plans that are targeted to you, who knows maybe you might be able to get a better plan, it's always good to take a look at all your options.