cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling

tommy44
I'm a participant level 3

Have a new lg g5 that i just purchased from costco, specifically for the wifi calling. Seems, sometimes it is enabled, and sometimes not? Bought this phone specifically for this feature, as we have a weak cellular connection where we live. When it works, it seems good, but most times it is not connected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

linz

34 REPLIES 34

AlwaysHappy
I'm a participant level 1

Wifi calling not working on my unlocked OnePlus 5t mobile.

Please help.

Hello AlwaysHappy,

Welcome to the community!

While Fido has recently allowed some grey-market non-Fido phones (Samsung Galaxy devices newer than S8, some LG devices) access to certain features (ie Wifi-calling and voLTE), Fido does not support those features on devices which are not offered by Fido. The reason is that devices from other manufacturers (ie OnePlus, Asus, Xiaomi, etc) have not been tested on the networks. You can view the list of supported devices here. Unfortunately, your phone is not a supported device.

Not what you wanted to hear, but hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jfdw58
I'm a participant level 2

Complete bunk, really.

OnePlus, Samsung devices are not "grey market" simply because they weren't purchased from a big carrier.

We purchase these phones BECAUSE they are unlocked and will allow dual sims and free us from being held hostage to a carrier.

There is no reason whatsoever that a phone from a reputable manufacturer running an updated version of Android will not function on your network.  None whatsoever.

Very sad to see FIDO is just another sleazy operator when it comes to being fair to customers.

Hello Jfdw58,

I replied to your other post below.

@jfdw58 wrote:

...OnePlus, Samsung devices are not "grey market" simply because they weren't purchased from a big carrier....

Grey market devices are the same version sold from other sellers, not necessarily from the big carriers. In the Canadian market, Samsung only produces one variant model, designated with the W nomenclature (see below). Fido has generally allowed those devices purchased from elsewhere to use Wifi-calling because they are the same variant as the one they sell.

If your device is dual-SIM, then it is unlikely the Canadian variant and therefore not considered a grey-market device (see here).

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, OnePlus has not made any arrangements with any of the Canadian carriers to test and support Wifi-calling. Since Fido does not offer any OnePlus devices, none of the OnePlus offerings would be considered a grey-market device.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

rem123
I'm a contributor level 1

Mine is a supported device S-20 and it doesn't work either. 
 "Looks like your device isn't eligible for Wi-Fi calling"  - Fido is not allowing it

Hello Rem123,

I understand the Samsung S20 might be capable of Wifi-calling. However, which variant of the device do you have?

Samsung makes their devices with slight variations depending on the region they are intended on being used. Some of those differences might include differing bands/frequencies and/or different chipsets, etc. To differentiate the different versions, or variants, Samsung adds a specific letter to the end of the model version to designate the region. For example, the Canadian variant is SM-G981W while the US variant is SM-G981U (see here).

Generally, devices not purchased nor available from Fido won't likely be supported for certain functions, like voLTE and Wifi-calling . However, Fido has allowed certain grey-market (ie Canadian version of devices carried by Fido but purchased elsewhere; SM-G981W) to use the service. If you have a different variant, it would not be available from Fido.

Unfortunately, if your model is not the Canadian variant (SM-G981W), it would not be considered grey-market even though it is a Galaxy S20. If that is the case, it's likely you won't be able to access those features with your phone.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jfdw58

Different frequencies?

Pull the other one.

Wifi calling functions over the internet.

Once you're logged onto a location, the only thing that matters is the operating system.

Frequencies relate to regular cell calling.

Hello Jfdw58,

@jfdw58 wrote:

Different frequencies?..

Frequencies relate to regular cell calling.

Apologies if you misunderstood my previous post. I was not suggesting that Wifi-calling uses different frequencies or cellular signals. I only mentioned the differing frequencies as something the variants might not have in common. I also mentioned different chipsets etc.

@jfdw58 wrote:..

...the only thing that matters is the operating system...

Unfortunately, non-Canadian versions of Samsung devices would not likely be supported for Wifi-calling.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

rem123

I have the variant - how do I get Fido to turn on WiFi calling?

rem123

"Current Hold time 3 hours... please wait while we transfer your call"

HakimDewani

Hello I have a unlocked Samsung galaxy s8+ and I had gotten wifi calling to work. But due to a issue with my phone I had to do a factory reset. When I set up my phone again and tried setting up wifi calling again, it said that the phone is not eligible for wifi calling. What is the reason for that. I had contacted fido through facebook messenger, but they couldn't do anything.  Please help 

thank you, 

Hakim

HETAL1
Click here
my phone does not work wifi calling 

Hello @HETAL1,

You can view our instructions on how to activate Wi-Fi calling here.

Hope this helps!

Hello HakimDewani,

You note your S8+ is unlocked. I assume that means you did not purchase it from Fido. Unfortuntately, as far as I am aware, voLTE and Wifi-calling are not available on android devices not purchased from Fido (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

murmur

This is unfair..Fido store did not have the phone I wanted. So..now my option is to find a carrier who has wifi calling with existing phone?

Hey @murmur,

We don't want to see you leave Sad

What model were you looking for?  We can have a look at your options, just let us know and we'll PM you!

murmur

I was looking for samsung Note 9 and bought one at Best Buy, as recommended by the Fido store I normally deal with. I didn't realize I couldn't activate wifi calling if I bought my phone elsewhere. I do have a better connection with the new phone if I am close to the wifi, but not everywhere in the condo.

Hey @murmur

You had a chance to try to add Wi-Fi calling following the instructions here

There's that section that says (How do I enable Wi-Fi Calling on my Samsung device?)

Let me know how it goes on your end.

murmur

I did try the instructions and because I bought an unocked phone, it is ineligible according to the link about which devices can use it.

@murmur

I was in the understanding that this phone you bought from Best Buy was a Fido device.

When it's not a Fido phone, some features might not work.

We do appreciate your feedback concerning this and I will make sure to share your situation to the right team.