cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer contracts but be able to retain my current #'s to port out after

chrisguy
I'm a participant level 2

I've been thinking about transfering my 2 contracts to someone else. 

After this is done and the new owner assume responsibility of the contracts in place I wan't the ability to port out the 2 phone numbers.  How can this be achieved exactly?

I realize that if I port the #'s out any device balance will have to be paid etc.  Of course I do not want this to happen.

Prior to transfering the contracts to someone else would I have to open 2 new prepaid accounts, change my existing #'s(these are under contract) to the new prepaid account.  This would leave 2 new numbers on the contract lines and my existing #'s on the prepaid account.  Is this how one goes about something like this?

Please advise.

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Chrisguy,

Welcome to the community!

I'm not entirely sure what you're intending to achieve is possible. I understand you wish to transfer ownership and responsibility of your contracts to someone else. Transferring responsibility is indeed possible, however, did that person wish to take ownership of a particular plan (as well as the device balance)? If that is the case, then unfortunately, they might not be able to do so. The person taking ownership of an existing Fido service must choose a price plan and services that are currently offered at the time of the transfer (see here). If your plan is no longer offered, they will not be able to take your plan.

In addition, the plan is associated with a phone number, not an account. If you ported your phone number to a new prepaid account, that would automatically cancel that monthly line, incurring the Early Cancellation Fees (ECF) or Device Savings Recovery Fees (DSRF).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

chrisguy

Thanks for the reply Cawtau! 

I'm curious about this line:

"The person taking ownership of an existing Fido service must choose a price plan and services that are currently offered at the time of the transfer (see here)."   

I'd be curious to hear from a fido moderator if this is indeed true.   If so is that even legal?  Is this standard practice in wireless contracts or a fido exclusive? 

It's strange really because if it is indeed legal and true then I'll be forced to straight buyout the contract because they've made it impossible to transfer a decent plan to another customer.  

Hey @chrisguy and @Cawtau!

I wanted to jump in here and help clarify a few things!

First off, when transferring the responsibility of your line to another user, they are not required to change their plan to an in-market plan. That information should have been updated. Thanks, Cawtau, for pointing out that that's still on our site! I've gone ahead and flagged that to the team in charge so that we can get that corrected as fast as possible. 

Now, getting back to your original inquiry, chrisguy.

In terms of transferirng the ownership of your lines to someone else, that is definitely something that can be done, provided that the new user passes a credit evaluation. In that case, both lines, the plans and the phone numbers along with any agreement, would be transferred into a new account under the new user's name and information. 

Unfortunately, we would not have a way for you to keep your current phone numbers in this situation though. When you transfer the responsibility for your lines to someone else, the phone numbers go with them. When you port out a phone number, the line asociated with it is closed automatically. If you were to port out both of your number after the transfer, both of those lines would be closed and the balances owing on the devices would be automatically billed.

If you were to, alternately, change both of your numbers before transferring your lines, the new users would get the lines with the new numbers, but, sadly, your existing phone numbers would be lost. We do not have a way to get your number back following a phone number change. 

That said, we'd love to look into your options. We'll send you a PM shortly.

Hello again,

By all means await a response from a moderator.

That said, the statement is taken directly from the Fido.ca website. The plans are indeed non-transferrable. They make it impossible to transfer a decent plan to another customer because they don't want you to be able to do so. Why wouldn't it be legal? Grandfathered plans are a loyalty perk for the customer with the plan. Change the customer, then there is no more loyalty perk.

I'm pretty sure the other providers would have similar views on the matter.

Cheers

chrisguy

I realize the statement was taken directly from the fido.ca website and not one of your own Cawtau. 

I'll await an official response to my original question and hopefully clarification on what me and Cawtau have discussed as well.