cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are data overage charges so expensive?!?

cap81
I'm a contributor level 1

So I was recently charged...$10 for going over 15MB??? and I am having a really hard time accepting that this is actually fair and that companies can get away with this stuff. Why in Canada, do we pay such exorbitant prices? Is it our population? a lack of infrastructure?  I would really just like to know why? I honestly do not even want a credit, I'm looking for transparency...

7 REPLIES 7

Dogs4
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I totally agree with you cap81 !!!!! 
Money grabbers...it's that simple!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Cap81,

You should note that the overage charges are not per megabyte. They are for a set amount of data. If you use less than that set amount, you will still be charged for the full amount. You should also note that the overage charges can vary depending on your plan. While the current in-market plans seem to have an overage rate of $7/100MB, older plans can have differing rates -- $5/100MB, $5/250Mb, or $10/GB.

If your overage rate is the $10/GB, you would have gotten charged for the full gigabyte even though you may have only used 15MB. You can verify your actual overage rate via your plan details in My Account.

FidoFaiza mentioned Data Top-ups. Unfortunately, some plans are not compatible with Data Top-ups and will still incur overage charges.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

cap81

I wish I was privy to that information before....because had I known that I was going to be charged a fixed amount, in this case $10/1GB I would have at least gotten my money's worth! I doubt very much that I am in the minority of customers who are actually aware of this. It screams of a money grab and honestly leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for clarifying though...lesson learned!

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

It is in your contract that you signed when you sign up for your phone.  Furthrmore, you are also asked to initial on that section as well.  While I won't disagree that it is a moneygrab, it is the responsibility for the the individual who signs under the dotted line.  

Knowledge is empowering only if one choose to take it in. Of course, most will play dumb and then regret later.

kludor

Not long ago, we've been charged $50 to unlock our phones, paid for, but is gone now (or in December?).

To make up for the money lost, you pay more for over usage. Hell, you'll pay more for everything!

Things will change, just dont hold your breath. [;-)>

FidoFaiza

Hi @cap81,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us; we understand where you are coming from! 

I just want to point out that you can always add a data top-up and get a better rate. A top-up can be added as long as you are still under your data allowance. Details here: http://fido.ly/2kyD2PY.

I hope this helps!

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

It is in your contract that you signed when you sign up for service.  It is written in one of the sections.

Why they can charge so much? It's because they can and there is nothing you can do about it other than do not go over your limit. 

Don't even think about switching to other cell phone service providers. They charge the same amount across the board. They call it "industry standard".

Unfortunely, since CRTC sides with the cell phone companies, there is nothing you can do about it.