cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet on Hotspot

deleted
I'm a contributor level 1

I have two Samsung phones on Fido.  Models Galaxy A11 and Galaxy A13 5G.  All functions work well accept for Hotspot. In both cases I can connect to the Hotspot but no Internet.  I have researched and find many similar comments and apparent "solutions".  Many cold trails.  I have reset the phones and looked at APN settings.  Hotspot "should" work but it doesn't.  I have confirmed with Samsung that the phones "should" be OK.  Looks like a Fido issue.  Does anyone have solid solutions?

4 REPLIES 4

FidoValerie

Hey @deleted Smiley 

Sorry to hear that you're unable to use your Hotspot! 

Does your phone have the correct Fido APN settings

Also, are both devices updated to the latest firmware version? 

If so, you can also try to reach out to customer service so they can reset your network connection and look into this further. 

deleted

Following up on this...  I reached out to Fido technical support.  The first contact said "my plan was configured incorrectly for Hotspot" and they would create a ticket to resolve it.  A week later it still didn't work and I called again.  This time tech support said the ticket was closed (without contacting me) and that they had never heard about a "hotspot configuration".   Great.  Today, I swapped SIM cards with my daughters Samsung phone (she is on Koodo) and my Hotspot worked!  I put my Fido SIM card in her phone, and surprise, she had no Internet connection on Hotspot.  So, my phone works fine.  The issue is with Fido but getting to a solution remains a challenge.

deleted

I should also note that the two phones I mentioned previously (Galaxy A11 and Galaxy A13 5G) that do not have Internet access via Hotspot, are on the same account.  Therefore I belive I have a misconfigured account problem and not an issue with our devices.

deleted

Wow

After five more phone calls, being on hold and listening to music for long periods of time, taking to six different "tech support" people, I finally learn that my plan (3GB/mo) dosen't include "Data Tethering" (aka Hotspot).  This is disapponiting for two reasons:

1) Rogers/Fido marketing making this decision to encourage and up-sell people onto bigger plans with data they don't need.  It makes no sense to me why they don't allow "tethering" as it doesn't matter if I use my data directly with my phone or through an extenral device connected through

tethering to my phone.

2) Such a waste of Rogers support staff time.  Their "technical support" staff didn't understand the problem, didn't understand how Hotspot works, didn't understand basic WiFi and data usage, and worse, didn't think to simply look at my account to see what was permitted under the plan details. Although I don't like the answer, it is shocking to find it took so many Roger/Fido people, resources, and time, to answer what really was a simple question.  This costs Rogers money and ultimately increases cost to their customers.