ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 dguard
I'm a Participant Level 3

ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

I have a Fido "home phone" using the ZTE WF721.  When I call a phone service requiring a PIN or extension number to be entered, the first digit of the PIN or extension number is always repeated.  For example:

(999) 555-1212 requires PIN 62345 followed by pound.  

So, I type in the phone number:

1-999-555-1212

Wait for the prompt to enter my PIN and I type in:

62345#

System responds with something like:

"The PIN you entered, six-six-two-three-four-five, is not valid.  Please try again."  (Always the first digit repeated)

It does not matter what phone device is attached and placing the call and it does not matter what service I'm trying to call so it seems like it is an issue with the ZTE.  And, it always the first digit of the PIN or extension no matter what that digit is.  Of course, this doesn't make much sense to me since it is the phone device that is issuing the DTMF signals.  The behaviour is as if the ZTE is inserting that extra leading digit.

Simple dialing of a phone number works fine.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

As an aside, the erratic behaviour of the message indicator light is also a continuing concern.

***Edited to add Labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

Hi everyone,

The update for the WF721 is now available. This update will improve touch tone performance and address a bug with the message waiting indicator.

Click here for more info.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 84
Highlighted

We'll update this thread once there's a fix @JainONCA as I mentioned in the other thread.

I understand that delay has been quite lenghty and we're working with ZTE on a fix which should be out shortly! Thanks for the update on your end Smiley .

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 61 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Doogie87
I'm a Contributor Level 2

My big beef with this is that everyone is being misled here. We have all been getting promises of a fix with specific times for when it will be done but it never happens. Also, when you call Fido they play dumb and don't know anything about the problem. They then tell you that a technical support person will call you within 48 hours but that never happens.

I don't know why Fido doesn't take ownership of this, spell out the truth and offer to provide refunds to users and we can all get on with other things, Fido included.

Just my thoughts.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 62 of 84
Highlighted

@Doogie87 wrote:

My big beef with this is that everyone is being misled here. We have all been getting promises of a fix with specific times for when it will be done but it never happens. Also, when you call Fido they play dumb and don't know anything about the problem. They then tell you that a technical support person will call you within 48 hours but that never happens.

I don't know why Fido doesn't take ownership of this, spell out the truth and offer to provide refunds to users and we can all get on with other things, Fido included.

Just my thoughts.

Hi @Doogie87

Refunds/Credits are exactly why they will not take ownership, if they do then customers will expect/demand compensation. I would expect some sort of compensation myself after all i'm paying for a service i'm not getting or there is a problem. This is like the Galaxy S6 issue a few month back when they introduce VoLTE and did not test it well enough and then people were missing calls delay text messages and the carrier just put the blame on Samsung.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 63 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 BMAN57
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I just went to call in my water meter reading, and I can't believe in this technologically advanced world, the **bleep** thing isn't fixed yet! I had to use my cell phone to enter in the numbers. The moment I can convince Shaw to take me back, without crazy installation fees, I'm done with Fido EVERYTHING. Known problems that were there but the sale associate only told me about them after the fact. I guess the "deal" of $10.00 a month was really too good to be true. By the way, I'm a really nice guy. It takes a lot to tick me off. Fido has ticked me off.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 64 of 84
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hey @BMAN57, did we exchange your device by any chance? We've updated the firmware of the devices *regarding the beeping sound

The extensions/IVR systems is still something we're looking into.

*added clarifications

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 65 of 84
Highlighted

So any suggestions of where we all go from here? Obviously it can't be fixed easily. I know one user filed a complaint with the regulatory people. Should we be considering a class action suit or something or it that too extreme?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 66 of 84
Highlighted

Rachel, The device was exchanged in January due to the flashing light indicator being on when NO messages were on the machine and no flashing light when there WERE messages. But the exchange did the same thing. Which is okay as I use the answering machine instead of the voice mail. I have never had anyone on the other end complain about a "beeping" sound. Just the touch tone problem is the major one.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 67 of 84
Highlighted

Just want people to know, that I would never curse on this site, the "bleep" was for saying the word "what beavers build". I would   never ever say the common "s" word, the common"f" word on forums etc. I apologize if I had upset anyone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 68 of 84
Highlighted

I am paying $20 a month and have been since last Sept. Also paid $40 for a unit that doesn't work. I was into see the dealer I bought it from and they are still selling the same unit and supposedly know nothing about the problem. Way to go Fido just keep sucking people in on this piece of **bleep**. I bet shaw and telus are having a field day with this.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 69 of 84
Highlighted

LOOKING INTO? Are you kidding? It has been more than 8 months and Fido continue to tell people it is fixed or going to be fixed in a week. Why are you still selling this thing? This is shamefull if nothing else.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 70 of 84