cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp no connection for calls

reemzl
I'm a contributor level 2

using my FIDO network doesn't allow me to make any whatsapp calls or recieve calls, it shows "connecting" but doesn't actually connect. it works fine when I'm on wifi, therefore its not my phone that is an issue (s10 plus) this has happend before, I called fido about 5 times they keep telling me to try various things including APN changes which i also followed (when I change the APN

anyone else having the same issue?

12 REPLIES 12

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @reemzl,

I can confirm the problem is not with Fido network, I actually experience this problem and if you search it you will see the problem is with Whatsapp. 

If you turn off your data saver on the phone the calls will go through as normal, for some reason Whatsapp is having this issue when data saver is on and even if you tell the phone to allow data to Whatsapp all the time it still won't connect but once data save is off it will work.

reemzl

it stopped working again and i have not changed any settings. not sure what to do!

Hello @reemzl,

Try clearing the WhatsApp cache and restart the phone and see if it helps. Also, double-check to make sure the data saver did not turn back on. 

reemzl

I tried that, and didn't work

@reemzl That's strange, something is preventing it from using mobile data, try uninstalling the app and then reinstall you can also try a soft reset press and hold 'Power' and 'Volume Down' buttons until the phone restarts.

reemzl

I just did both and still not working, also restarted my phone

Hello @reemzl

When did this problem start exactly on your end?

Other than the message **connecting** showing up when you try to make call, is there any other error message showing up?

Are you on the latest OS for your s10 plus?

Let us know.

reemzl

Hello,

it initially started when i bought the phone, it was not bought via Fido, and it used to not connect my phoneline and date after about 6 calls, someone told me to go in and get a new SIM, my phoneline issue was then fixed, my internet was intermittent but mostly stable.

then end of last year maybe November December, i was not able to make or recieve calls on whatsapp i received and made the calls they picked up or i picked up but alwaty said "connecting" and didn't actually connect, i called fido and many reps didn't have a clue, i then decided to reformat my phone and started working. then again the day i started this discussion the issue started again, and when @KAPABLE-K replied it worked, but again afater a few hours it stopped again, and i came back.

yesterday afternoon, i decided randomly to "reset network" and again started working, so its fristrating that every time a different thing fixes it, but it is definatly something to do with the network and my phone combined.

thank you

@reemzl Like I mentioned before the problem is not with Fido network, the problem started with WhatsApp after Android 10 and when data saver is enabled. The problem is either with WhatsApp or with Android 10 it hasn't been figured out as yet. 

I have a Pixel 3XL and a Galaxy S10 and both won't connect when data saver is enabled I tested on a Galaxy A8 Android 9 with data saver enabled and the calls connect.

Since you did not get the phone from Fido make sure the APN settings are correct You can get the required info here.

Uninstall WhatsApp then reinstall this time do a new setup don't do a restore and keep data saver off and see if the problem goes away.

If the problem is still there then I would suggest you do a factory reset and do a new setup, not a restore double-check the APN settings and keep data save off install WhatsApp and test.

reemzl

Thank you,

I have done all of the above, reset my network yesterday evening and its working again.

@reemzl, keep us posted if it stops working again.

reemzl

THANK YOU, it worked!!!