Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Place Video Calling with My Samsung S8

JordanK
I'm a participant level 2

Hey,

I was promised voice over lte and video calling when i was switching to fido. I have never been able to place any video call. it disconnects right after i place the call and says "call ended". i have checked my setting and everything is enabled as it should, also, nothing is wrong with my device as i checked with Samsung. Can FIDO or anyone tell me how to activate this feature? Customer service was not helpful at all.

Kindly,

9 REPLIES 9

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@JordanK,

You will need to have a compatible phone meaning the phone must have the feature and must be purchased from Fido also the other person your are calling must have the same compatible feature and service in order for it to work.

Having an unlocked phone has nothing to do with the feature its a poor excuse Fido used to used and for some reason they continue to use even though  all phones comes unlocked now. The most important thing for features like VoLTE and WiFi calling to work giving the phone has the features is the phone needs to be from Fido. 

JordanK

Thanks. No one told me that earlier. Now at least I know Fido sells all its features only to those that buy their phones from them. That doesn't seem very right tbh. 

Hey @JordanK

At the moment it's only compatible with Fido phones that's correct.. It's definitely not the impression we want you to have though Sad . We really appreciate the feedback and I'll be forwarding it to the approprate team. 

Thanks!

leslie2
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

as i am about to start my  search for a  S8   this  kinda thing  scares the  heck out of me , coming from Fido whom i  have been a customer  for  20 yrs..........  wondering  what else  is being kept quiet??

FidoKija
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey leslie2! Welcome to the community. Smiley 

Wow! That's really impressive. Thank you so much for you loyalty!

I can assure you that we always aim to remain as transparent as possible. Don't hesitate if you have any questions or need any assistance. The community is here to help! 

Zxaz
I'm a contributor level 3
I'm a contributor level 3

JordanK.....had to live the same thing then you......it seem some people are lucky to make wi-fi calling work.....but most of the time it will NOT.....the fact that you have to buy from fido to have these feature is only a rogers/fido thing.....if you really want these feature?  you gonna have to change your provider....

to make a story short.....if you bought from fido/rogers your phone then its ok....if you have bought your own phone like most of people prefer...then go anywhere else to have these feature like i"ve done

plain and simple.....

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

1: ensure that your device supports VoLte

2: ensure that you have an new fido sim card

3: ensure you are on plan that has the VoLte option enabled

4: ensure that your device's apn settings is correct

5: ensure that your target person you are calling also has an device (and service) that supports VoLte

6: good luck

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @JordanK.

Welcome to our Community, we're here to help! Smiley

You can find the steps to activate VoLTE in this article from our Community's Library.

Just a heads up that the service only works on compatible Fido devices and won't work if your phone is unlocked.

Let us know if you need anything else.

JordanK

So basically are you are saying I must buy a phone from fido to be able to use some of the features you sell?  I have an S8 device which has all the functionality but I cannot use them because I did not buy my phone from you.  In this case, you should put in on your website at least as a footnote for customers to know.