Tethering "contact Fido"

Community Manager (Retired) FidoErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Tethering "contact Fido"

When I try to set up my iPhone for tethering by going through the following steps Settings-->General-->Network-->Set-up Internet Tethering, I get the following message “Set Up Internet Tethering. To enable tethering on this account contact Fido”. What does this mean?

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Tethering "contact Fido"

This could mean that you don’t have the appropriate data add-on on your account to support tethering, so you should call customer service. However, if you were able to tether before and there hasn't been any changes to your account, on you computer, make sure WiFi is OFF and that there is no internet cable (ethernet) connected. The iPhone has to be the only source of internet.
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Community Manager (Retired) FidoErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Solution

This could mean that you don’t have the appropriate data add-on on your account to support tethering, so you should call customer service. However, if you were able to tether before and there hasn't been any changes to your account, on you computer, make sure WiFi is OFF and that there is no internet cable (ethernet) connected. The iPhone has to be the only source of internet.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Drewzki
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I would just like to mention that turning off wifi and having no Ethernet cable has 0 effect. The iPhone does not need to be connected to a pc at the time of activating the tethering option.

I would say the first thing to try would be Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

They is a glitch in the system when a CSR future dates a data option change from the 1GB data option to 6GB data option .  The tethering soc expires on the last day of billing cycle. When you try to cancel the future date expiry date and press save, the system re-expires the soc again.

The solution: CSR has to make the change effective the same day (as long as the customer accepts prorata usage and charges) OR the CSR has to keep a Follow up on the account to re-add the tethering soc once the new billing cycle begins.

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5

Hey everyone!

I know this is a pretty old thread but I thought I would provide some updated information about tethering in case anyone came across this in the future. :smileyhappy:

For all plans released on or after August 3rd, 2011, which bill data overusage per increment of a specific amount of data that you go over your allotted usage (For example, $5/100 MB or $10/GB, the overusage rate is dependent on which plan you are subscribed to), tethering is enabled regardless of how much data you have included in your plan. There is no longer any minimum data allotment required or anything that needs to be added to your plan in order to be able to tether.

Hope this helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5