Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Swap Attack Question

TheWerewolf
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi there.

There's been a number of articles in the press lately about 'SIM Swap Attacks'. This is when someone finds out your phone number and the carrier, then contacts the carrier and convinces them to reassign your phone number to a new SIM, obviously without the permission of the actual account holder. This is a massive problem because using your phone as a 'second factor' by texting a code to your phone to prove your identity has become commonplace and if someone can redirect your phone number to their SIM (and thus, their phone), they essentially become you.

Fido actually has a pretty clever way to stop this online - you have to have the original SIM's IMEI number, which you can only get if you have the original SIM, so big points to Fido there.

My question though is: if someone went into a store, called a Fido rep by phone or went into chat, what system is in place to make sure someone can't just claim to be me and take over my phone number?

To show how devastating this can be: 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-i-survived-a-sim-swap-attack-and-how-my-carrier-failed-me/

28 REPLIES 28