Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Dial Delay & Incoming Call Delay

ceo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Just came to Fido from Chatr...

I have a serious delay with getting a call setup. When I dial out, there's a 6 second (dead air) delay before ringback. When I call my cell phone (on Fido) from a landline, it takes about 14 seconds before my phone even rings (the other side gets dead air for about 6 seconds before hearing ringback). There is no delay when I call 611 (almost instant connection) but that's the only number without an issue.

The device is a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it worked great when I was with Chatr. Under Chatr, there were no delays in getting a call setup (incoming & outgoing). I figured there would be no difference since both companies are technically under the Rogers umbrella. The only major difference I can think of is that this is now a LNP/FMNP (ported) number in the system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

36 REPLIES 36

ceo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Unbelievable. I've talked to Fido customer service several times and finally got transferred to technical support only to be told that the Samsung Galaxy S3 is not a Fido phone and they're refusing to go further. Are you kidding me? This exact same phone used to work perfectly fine on Chatr, works fine with a Telus SIM Card and works fine with an active Fido SIM Card (that wasn't mine). I also know many people that use the Samsung Galaxy S3 without issue on Fido. I think I'm going to post my experience with Fido on Twitter & Facebook & port out pretty soon. Extremely frustrated.

SlimchanceJohn
I'm a contributor level 1

I'm a Fido user  and have been for years and am experiencing a similar problem that began a few weeks ago.

SYMPTONS are:  regardless of what type of provider or phone (landline or cell) that tries to dial my number  experiences a long 10  - 12 second pause (no sound) before the first ring takes place. After the long delay the dialer will finally hear the phone begin to ring at which the cell phone rings instantly as well. When I place a call using my cell it's never a delay problem dialing out.  It is very annoying, I use the cell phone for business and it leaves callers at the other end feeling somewhat disconnected. I experience this with everyone who calls regardless from what  location they, or myself are in with full signal bars. I even switched my sim card into other Fido phones and the problem follows the sim card, I then replaced the sim card ruling out any hardware phone issues and still no luck. Any one else with this recent experience?  Ive never had the problem ever and wish it would go away. 

ACTION taken; I called Fido a few times and explained in full detail the problem to various techs within and they did some testing, they claimed the problems is fixed however I'm still stuck with the problem and have lots of witnesses to prove it. 

ceo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

SlimchanceJohn: Sounds like you have the same problem that I have.

I've tried a Telus SIM Card on my Galaxy S3 phone and there is no delay. It also worked perfectly fine on Chatr Rogers' switch (OCN 8821). It was recently ported over to Fido's switch (OCN 5643, CLGRABAY2MD).

You'd think that it would rule out the Samsung Galaxy S3 but no, I went farther to satisfy their troubleshooting requirements and replaced the SIM card (brand new one). Tried the new SIM card on the S3 & Fido phone and there's still that same delay (and can be as long as 12 seconds as well from a landline).

Talked to the retention department and the gentlemen was the first person making any effort. He tried to get a ticket open with the networking team and they did their test call and tried to say that they were able to make my phone ring within 3 seconds and absolutely stopped troubleshooting. It's like they don't care and treating it like we're just wasting his time.

So the call ended with the nice fellow in retention saying that he can't get the networking team to open a ticket as this is the very first time anyone brought this up. Obviously I can't be the first one that brought it up if you called in too, SlimchanceJohn. Please let me know how you make out. If they don't fix it, I'm going to have to look into going with another provider. I also run a business and that's a very serious problem.

SlimchanceJohn

I went to the POS Fido cell phone store in Ajax today to demonstrate my  issue with my incoming call delay complaint. It was easier to explain in person than it was over the phone as I could quickly demonstrate the issue with the delay by using there phone to call my cell number and prove there is still about a 11 or 12 second delay and the girl working there was helpful and called it in to the technical department acknowledging the problem. We even shut my phone off and the same symptoms occur while dialing my number with the long delay before voice mail answers just the same is if my phone is on!   At this point the tech dept still have no resolution for me.

ceo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

I'd like to thank everyone for posting their experience. Made the decision of calling customer service one last time and mentioned that there are other people having the same issue as well. I mentioned the last post; that someone experienced a delay even with the phone turned off. That kind of steered them to look at other things rather than trying to blame my phone.

To my surprise, this particular customer service representative was able to get someone in networking to do some traces and we now have a network ticket! If they fix this ticket, I'm sure it'll be a fix for all of us.

Going to give Fido a fair chance to fix the problem. If they can resolve this, I'll stay. Pretty much happy with everything else except for the serious delay for incoming calls. If they fix this, I am going to call this person's manager and tell them how impressed I am with her.

Waiting & hoping optimistically...

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey guys,

I'm really sorry to hear about this. 

Could each of you (who are affected) please send me a private message (click on my name and you'll see it on the right side) with your phone number? I will gladly look into this for you.

SlimchanceJohn

I'm still having the delay problem and no one from tech support or head office has bothered to call me back as they probably don't have a clue. any suggestions from here are welcome. I clicked on your name however I don't see any way to send you a message with my info?

FidoStephen

@SlimchanceJohn wrote:

I'm still having the delay problem and no one from tech support or head office has bothered to call me back as they probably don't have a clue. any suggestions from here are welcome. I clicked on your name however I don't see any way to send you a message with my info?

Hey SlimchanceJohn,

After clicking on my name, you should see "Send this user a private message" on the right. Are you sure it's not there?

SlimchanceJohn
Ok, found it, I just sent you a message, thanks

ceo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Update for everyone: I received a text message at 12:22 MST today for the ticket they opened for me, saying, "Hello, this is Fido. I just wanted to let you know that we are still working on your network issue that was reported yesterday. -Service a la clientele Fido"

Missed a few calls today (according to WhoCalled) - phone never rang.

@SlimchanceJohn: I'll send you my ticket number privately (we both have the same issue) - not sure if they have a way of attaching your account to that ticket as well? You can mention that to them the next time you chat with them. Saves you the extra work of explaining.

SlimchanceJohn

Ok thanks for the info, at least you got a text answer back .  I sent a" help!" letter to the so called  "presidents office" on Monday thinking i would hear back in a day or so, however nothing, zipo, zero, zilch, nada 4 days out now.  President of what? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
ahh they finally did an SS7 trace? its about time i was wondering why they took so long to do this? its probably a faulty swtich somewhere along the network.

Google
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I got the EXACT same issue.  I was with CITYPHONE - who also uses Rogers Network - and that was rock solid.

I noticed with the first call i made when i was ported over to Fido, that it took 10-12 seconds to hear ringing!! 

This is happeneing when my friends call me (from Telus, Bell, Shaw) - they hear nothing but dead-air for 10-12 seconds before my phone would even ring.

Anonymous
Not applicable
what switch are you guys on?

ceo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Currently on the CLGRABAY2MD switch. Tried many times to get someone to open a NOC ticket but they think I'm the only one having issues. Not too surprised from what I've seen. Most of the troubleshooting will end with the first level of support where they will try to blame the phone.

SlimchanceJohn

I,m not sure what switch I,m on, however I will be going to a Fido store today to prove the issue in person, no one has a solution for the problem at this point and I have no idea what  to do next.  I,m in the middle of a 3yr contract, however I should have some sort of grounds to cancel without penalty if they can,t resolve my problem.