cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel: The Mystery of the Unknown Caller...

HoundDog60
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hating my latest Fido phone, and feeling ripped off.

The problem may be that I've had an iPhone since I switched to smartphone - I was a flip phone user for a long time.  Didn't bother me though, since the number one app used in my business is the PHONE.  The internet access / email are a nice add on, but not necessary day-to-day on my phone.  So, I switched to a Google Pixel XL after 6-7 years on iPhone - was surprised to find that the voicemail on Pixel was call in... seriously.  Call in.  Old school.  Like the flip phone.  Hate it.  Love the visual system on an Apple.  I'm a little hard of hearing, and work in a noisy construction environment so it's easy to go back a few seconds to replay a name or number.  

So I called Fido, who, for $5/month installed a visual voice mail system that sent voice translated to text.  Easy to navigate.  Not pleased that my bill would go up $5 when my iPhone did that for the same price as the $70 plan I had before, but since it's necessary - for me - I opted for it.  New plan $75

...what Fido didn't tell me is that this $5 item would 'break' the phone contact recognition.  All my incoming calls were now showing as "unknown caller".  I thought this was a Pixel XL issue and spent a few hours on their support line to fix it - callers were in my Google contact list, but they simply were not recognized.  Turns out, it's a provider issue.  So I called Fido support to rectify and they told me that the visual voicemail was 'incompatible' with the contact recognition - but it wasn't too incompatible, apparently, because for $10 more/month Fido could fix it.... so my $70/month plan on Apple would turn into an $85/month plan for my Pixel phone.... all because YOUR $5 visual voicemail app BROKE the contact recognition to begin with!!  

I am not pleased.  $180 more per year... $360 for the 2 years of the contract MORE for the same thing I had on my iPhone!!  Not pleased with Fido at this point, and not pleased with my Pixel.  I was told it was the superior product... I fell for it and now I've got a whole lot of costly regret.

***Edited to add Labels*** 

13 REPLIES 13