cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Fido phone

jpcaron
I'm a contributor level 1

Hey i've read all the other thread on the issue that that seriously throw me off.

Last week i bought a Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro UNLOCKED(that is not a thing anymore) with all the cool features a flagship phone should have, and also features that are basic like for any new phone (VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling, IMS Registration)

This phone have more features than almost all the phones you sell.

FaceID unlock.

In-LCD FingerPrint sensor.

Snapdragon 845
8G ram 128G storage.

Every FIDO network bands are covered by this phone.

This phone is WiFi-Calling capable, and VoLTE capable too. (Tested on telus network everything was fine IMS registered)

I am a fido client since 2007.

From what ive read, the WiFi-Calling and VoLTE features is disable on YOUR side just because this phone was not bought from you. Don't tell me its because you dont support Xiaomi Phones, This is clearly a carrier choice to deprovision those settings.

I Get bad reception in my house and i need the WiFi Calling feature and for VoLTE well this is a 800$ phone. It is not supposed to sound like sh*t just because you didnt get your cut on the sale. ALSO this is a BYOP plan so please fix this.

And for moderators out here dont even think of replying with stupid generic answer BLA BLA BLA NON FIDO PHONE.

I am a very good customer and i will still be if you fix this. I've already lost my time and time from your agent on the phone aswell as a sim card. You guys already lost more money than what you would have made seling me your device.

I went to local FIDO shop and told me IMS ans WIFI calling are thing of the past and i should forget about this, do they have a little bit of training, these features are fairly new.

Please dont reply generic BS to me unless you are really willing to fix this issue. I have 3 phone on this account, 2007 account, multiple phones bought from you.

Waiting impatiently for serious help dont lose my time.

11 REPLIES 11

FidoFrancois
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @jpcaron Welcome to the Community. We're glad to have you with us. Smiley 

The experience you've been having is certainly not the one we aim for for any of our customers. 

To clarify, we do provide information about wifi calling here where we explain it may work, but we can’t ensure that the feature will work properly on any device. 

With that being said, we're sending you a PM shortly to have a closer look at your account with you. 

Talk to you soon. 

To clarify, we do provide information about wifi calling here where we explain it may work, but we can’t ensure that the feature will work properly on any device. 

@FidoFrancois, Therein lies the problem, did you even read the link your provided and quoted?

"Your compatible device must have been purchased from Fido. If you have a non-Fido iPhone and no conflicting services, Wi-Fi Calling may work, but we can’t ensure that the feature will work properly on your device."

It's clear the OP is using an Android phone.

"If you have a non-Fido Android device (e.g., you did not buy your device from Fido), Wi-Fi Calling will not work."

It would be a perfect world if every customer reads every detail about a service or company they decide to work with but that's not the case. Most if not everyone goes with what is being sold to them, most agents sells it just like you did by giving some sort of hope, bait and switch. Quoting it from the support section of your website after the fact does not help.

I went to local FIDO shop and told me IMS ans WIFI calling are thing of the past and i should forget about this, do they have a little bit of training, these features are fairly new.

Unfortunately this is the experience a lot of customer gets when speaking to agents they either don't know or give false information to make the sale.

Since CRTC unlocked every phone they had to find a way to make people still tie to their carrier provider by not providing the same service for any Unlocked phones. This is probably illegal..

Don't think its illegal, but before the ruling they always used to say they can't guarantee unlocked phones will work because the locked phones has been optimised for their network which was and has been proven total BS. 

I can maybe understand Fido not supporting phones they do not carry like the OP's phone but Fido still does not support the features on phones they support if not bought from them.

Why is that?

That's because Fido has a whitelist of IMEI's that they will only support, the problem is not the phone the problem is where you purchase the phone from. 

So how do we fix this?  

jpcaron

@KAPABLE-K

Cant wait to see their answer on this!!

Laserblue

My (non-Fido) Mi 8 phone (on a BYOP plan), purchased and shipped from China works fine with WiFi calls.. so I don't think it is an issue with Fido blocking the service. Perhaps a setting in the phone itself?

Hello Laserblue,

I replied to your other post here. The Wifi-calling referenced by the OP is not the same as using an app.

It is unlikely that a phone not purchased from Fido will have that functionality.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

jpcaron

@Cawtau wrote:

Hello Laserblue,

I replied to your other post here. The Wifi-calling referenced by the OP is not the same as using an app.

It is unlikely that a phone not purchased from Fido will have that functionality.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

There is litteraly no reason to block non FIDO IMEI for IMS registration beside to just piss good customer off, i wish more people was aware like me and knew about this fido and roger THING.

Since CRTC unlocked every phone they had to find a way to make people still tie to their carrier provider by not providing the same service for any Unlocked phones. This is probably illegal.

Hello again,

@jpcaron wrote:...Since CRTC unlocked every phone they had to find a way to make people still tie to their carrier provider by not providing the same service for any Unlocked phones. This is probably illegal...

Have you contacted the CRTC? I have. Actual quote from correspondence:

... the CRTC does not intervene in retail terms of services for wireless services (besides provisions included in the Wireless Code).

We usually encourage consumers to compare the products and services of different providers in their area and look for a company that can best match their needs.

Unlike with locked devices, customers are not tied to Fido. No one is making you stay with Fido. If you do not have a contract with them, you are free to switch providers.

Cheers

jpcaron

Cawtau please dont answer anymore you're just building up my rage.

I checked every band of LTE/ 3G 2G before buying the phone do you think i am stupid.

I know fido respect the CRTC by PROVIDING SERVICE BLBA BLA BLA.

The thing is that when i read about my phone it was not EXPLICITLY CLEAR that my phone wouldnt work on your service. SAYING WE CANT GARANTY is false advertising. MY PHONE IS MORER THAN CAPABLE.

WHy am i answering to you again.

You just clearly told me to leave fido LOL. "No one is making you stay with Fido. "

If i said that to a 11 yrs subcriber my boss would fire me right now.

Have fun dealing with an scheme (Blocking NON imei fido phone) you had to do to just end up losing customers.

If i was Fido i would fire the person who put that in place, everyone that have a problem with it that called tech support for multiple hours cost more to fido in salaries and end up LOSING customers.

MINI-PUTT CLAP....

Hello again,

Somebody needs lessons in anger management.

I merely relayed what the CRTC told me.

Cheers

jpcaron

Cawtau why do you endorse some sort of rip-off you dont even work for them. (I really doubt it now)

Anyone that respect where his money go should be mad about this issue

Hello again,

I'm not defending Fido. As explained in my other reply here, I was explaining the situation to @Laserblue!

Cheers