Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

Hi guys,

Is it true that a phone that is capable of Volte/HD calling will not work with Fido if the phone was brought over from another carrier?

I am finding that serveral features on my Samsung GS7 Edge are not working the same way as my wife's Samsung GS7 when she is calling others who have the service enabled. The callquality is amazing on her phone.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

Hello @Krispychik3n it is true if you have a phone that was not purchased from Fido some features like WiFi calling and VoLTE will not work even if the phone is capable of it. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 37
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1
Solution

Hello @Krispychik3n it is true if you have a phone that was not purchased from Fido some features like WiFi calling and VoLTE will not work even if the phone is capable of it. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 37
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Thanks @KAPABLE-K. Is there a way for me to let Fido know how I feel about this?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 37
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@Krispychik3n you just did, the moderators here can take your feedback.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 37
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@KAPABLE-Kthanks. I'll leave some feedback on fido.ca as well. If I am paying for a service and their network is capable of providing these options then I shouldn't be punished for not buying their devices. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 37
Former Moderator FidoJo
Former Moderator

Hey @Krispychik3n

I wanted to hop in and let you know that we don't want you to feel as you're being punished. That's absolutely not our intention.

Your comments are being heard and will be seen by the right people.

While it's not something that we offer on Non-Fido Devices at this time, we're always looking into our options so we can provide as much as possible!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 37
I'm a Contributor Level 3 Zxaz
I'm a Contributor Level 3

was with fido...and still is with rogers "sister compagny" for our compagny...personally after countless hours with the customer service to give me the wifi calling and why i was not able to have these feature for my "truly" canadians brand new phone from samsung (galaxy s9+) i came to spoke to the technical support at rogers, and from there the guy told me that only phone from them can have the wi-fi calling...even if i paid $$1100.00 for my phone i was simply not able to have these feature wich i needed when i want to use my phone in my basement....finally i ended the day later with my new provider that i will not name since its a fido forum...and had all these feature when i poped my new simcard right away....

if you really need these feature...your best bet is to look somewhere else...you will find dont worry...

on my rogers account we have in particular a galaxy note 8 from samsung...and all these feature are blocked since its a fido/rogers thing...but plan to resolve this issue again very soon if nothing change...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 37
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

make sure that the samsung s7 is unlocked, make sure that u get an new activated sim card, mark sure that the apn settings is correct, make sure that the samsung is updated to newst software.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 37
I'm a Contributor Level 2 tccris
I'm a Contributor Level 2

the problem of the century... missing the spy on the eye...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 37
I'm a Contributor Level 2 tccris
I'm a Contributor Level 2

yes..,but i can't tell you here...:Smiley:

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 37
I'm a Participant Level 3 ThE_MarD
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hello, I have come over from Koodo because they also block VoWiFi and VoLTE on Bring Your Own Devices... Just to find out the FAQ that I read on Fido fails to mention BYOD also don't get access to these features.

This Fido VoLTE FAQ is outright lying to us customers and I do feel like I've made the wrong choice.

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/fido-volte

What do I need to have in order to use VoLTE?

All Fido customers on postpaid plans with a VoLTE-compatible phone can take advantage of it anywhere on the Fido LTE network!

Screenshot_Chrome_20181012-194757.png

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 37

Hey @ThE_MarD!

I can understand your frustration there. VoLTE is a popular service.

What kind of phone are you using?

Also, I removed the email address from your last post, as it goes against our commenting policy. You can send the person you want to reach a private message throught the community to contact them. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 37
I'm a Participant Level 3 ThE_MarD
I'm a Participant Level 3

@FidoPhilippe I also noticed there's a PM feature and deleted that post. Sorry about that, I should have looked for PM service first.

My phone? It's a LeEco Le Max 2. I am one of the official device maintainers for a custom build of Android for this phone (LineageOS) and I am currently running v16.0 of that custom build of Android which is based on Pie (9.0.0).

I've even gone as far as using the complete APN configuration stack from Google on my LeEco Le Max 2... and it won't enable VoLTE.

https://android.googlesource.com/device/sample/+/android-9.0.0_r10/etc/apns-full-conf.xml

Looking at the logcat results from my phone? I can see that it is indeed connecting to Fido IMS and that Fido is not registering my device.

Same goes for my wife who has an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 which was originally purchased from Bell, and she is running the official Samsung build of Android Oreo.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 37

Thanks for clarifying @ThE_MarD,

To make things simpler, you can find more info on this feature and our list of compatible devices here. The remaining requirements will need to be confirmed on our end by going over your account and making sure you have everything in place to enable this feature.

You can reach out to us on any channel here or we can send you a PM on this platform if you prefer.

Let us know how you wish to proceed Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 37
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Hi @FidoSaad,

Can you assist my wife and I with the VOLTE function on our phones? She had to replace her phone and now it's not working. We both have the Galaxy S7...mine being an Edge and hers being the Active model.

Thank you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 37