Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

Hi guys,

Is it true that a phone that is capable of Volte/HD calling will not work with Fido if the phone was brought over from another carrier?

I am finding that serveral features on my Samsung GS7 Edge are not working the same way as my wife's Samsung GS7 when she is calling others who have the service enabled. The callquality is amazing on her phone.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

Hello @Krispychik3n it is true if you have a phone that was not purchased from Fido some features like WiFi calling and VoLTE will not work even if the phone is capable of it. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 37
Moderator (inactive) FidoRanya
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @Krispychik3n ,

Sure thing. Sending a PM your way to look into this.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 37
I'm a Participant Level 3 ThE_MarD
I'm a Participant Level 3

@FidoSaad I know my device is VoLTE compatible as I can use VoLTE when on vacation with a carrier that doesn't blacklist BYOD. The issue is Rogers and Fido are blacklisting BYOD from VoLTE and VoWiFi.

I also know that my LeEco Le Max 2 supports all the LTE bands that Rogers/Fido uses

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/227lsoW/leeco-x820-le-max-2-dual-sim-td-lte-32g...

It is the exact same issue with Telus and Koodo and why I switched my wifr and I to Fido as the FAQ clearly states all I would need was a VoLTE compatible phone... Which isn't true since Fido blocks BYOD from that feature.

A perfect example of what I am saying is this one thread where a Pixel 2 XL was purchased directly from Google (so it is BYOD on Fido) and he couldn't get VoLTE or VoWiFi until he "tricked" Fido into provisioning IMS on his account by temporarily using his SIM card in an iPhone

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/38086

So it seems to me the only way I could attempt to get VoLTE and VoWiFi on my Fido account is to buy an iPhone through Fido, get my account provisioned for VoLTE and VoWiFi and then return the iPhone for a refund... Pretty much because I don't know anyone with an iPhone...

I've also called Fido customer service and I asked about VoLTE and VoWiFi and they told me that my account is provisioned for VoLTE and VoWiFi but I needed to purchase a smartphone from Fido for it to work...

Which means the FAQ fails to mention BYOD are blacklisted from VoLTE and VoWiFi.

Please update your FAQ to reflect that Fido blocks BYOD from VoLTE and VoWiFi.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 37
I'm a Participant Level 1 Ngocphi1
I'm a Participant Level 1

There is a reason why your device doesn't support volte on Fido

Other carrier phones may support the main bands but not all devices support volte bands on every carrier

For example Fido supports volte band 7 on certain bands

But Rogers does NOT on those bands but on other bands they may

your usually have to check the manufuacturera website based on the model number you have as mentioned on the volte faq

This is regardless of carrier

There are some phone model numbers that do overlap with certain carriers but you have to match the model number with what bands fido or a other carrier 

Not just the name

That's the risk you take with BYOB

All the store checks for is can you connect to the lte or 3g if you don't support the bands they can't change it for you. You would need a completely new phone and match It

If you look up volte fido mentions which phones and models they sell with volte that's a phsyical requirement 

Crtc requires a license for every band they use Rogers has volte and lte on certain bands so does other carriers have their own they don't cross over

If I remember right some TMobile and at&t ones do too

This is why you have model numbers different for every carrier

In order to use wifi calling you need to have the specific phone models as the software is specific to each model number

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 37
I'm a Participant Level 3 ThE_MarD
I'm a Participant Level 3

@Ngocphi1 while true some devices might lack LTE VoLTE bands... Please look at how that Pixel 2 XL user was only able to achieve VoLTE and VoWiFi why first provisioning his sim card and account with an iPhone.

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/38086

This is proof that Fido is indeed blacklisting BYOD from VoLTE and VoWiFi without mentioning this limitation in their FAQ. It has nothing to do with his Pixel 2 XL coming from Google and is due to the smartphone not coming directly from Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 37
I'm a Contributor Level 3 Zxaz
I'm a Contributor Level 3

people will never understand after all........of course fido/rogers blacklist all phone they do not sold.....

they register all their own phone in their system....basicaly their system is simply a rolleyes system who only detect their own phone they have bought from manufacturer like samsung/lg.....i fought with them to have all these feature until a technician finally admited this fact to me.....i had to spend many many hours on phone to finally come to this at the end...in my case i resolved this problem when i changed to a other provider simply....poped my new sim and almost instantly BANG i had everything..volte/wi-fi calling....everything....

when you take the time to search...you can have all these feature!!

they told me (fido agent) that they had alot of pressure and complain from subsriber...but reading from this forum it seem still nothing have be done yet...it seem that they simply just dont care from their subscriber after all.....lolll    

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 37
I'm a Participant Level 2 MAC73
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have the similar issue and customer services was not ready to provision tje VoLTE/WiFi ony phone.

They actively block VoLTE/WiFi calling on Non- Fido purchased phones. This is radicolus. I am on BYOD plan and not able to use these services.

I am going to switch the service to some other provider and advise my family and friends to stay away from FIDO.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 37

Hey MAC73,

Thanks for posting!

We definitely don't want to see you go! We know how important it is to be able to use the lastest features on your devices.

Keep an eye on the Community. We'll post an update if anything changes.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 37

If you don't want people to go......why you are doing this???  Why do you not give them these feature like other provider??? Give them satisfaction...... When people calling to register their phone on your rolleyes system you simply dont want?? With the popular awnser 'we cant guarantee it will work' wich is false and you know it.....

You just doing the opposite....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 37
I'm a Participant Level 2 LVC100
I'm a Participant Level 2

I totally agree.

I have the same situation, I wanted to have these features activated on my unlocked samsung device and the IMS shows it is not registered. I am also very upset with this, have been client for over 15 years and I also will start thinking in changing to a another provider who will give me the option to have these features automatically on my new device. Sad Fido has not done nothing on this aspect during all this time.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 37
I'm a Participant Level 1 skrdan
I'm a Participant Level 1

I think we, the consumers, should bring this issue up,  not only with regards to Fido but other companies who put this policy into place, with the CRTC.

With many complaints the CRTC can enforce Fido and other mobile carriers to change this issue.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 37
Former Moderator FidoJulien
Former Moderator

Hey @skrdan

I can definitely understand this is a feature that you would like to have.  As we mentioned, we'll update this thread if this changes.

I'll send you a PM so we can look at your account together!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 37
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@skrdan wrote:

I think we, the consumers, should bring this issue up,  not only with regards to Fido but other companies who put this policy into place, with the CRTC.

With many complaints the CRTC can enforce Fido and other mobile carriers to change this issue.

I agree with you, i've always been calling out Fido in regards to these unethical business practice. It's pointless having these expensive feature rich phones when companies like Fido block the features just because it was not purchased from them. 

The only way we can have change is if more people complain, unfortunately people do not complain enough and in the right places. When filing a complaint to the CRTC they should be reminded of their mandate "We are dedicated to ensuring that Canadians have access to a world-class communication system that promotes innovation and enriches their lives."

This community forum don't get enough views to make any sort of impact, people need to start taking these issues to the companies Twitter and Facebook pages where it has a better chance to make a difference. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 37
Highlighted

The problem.....is that instead of complaining....people prefer changing fido/rogers for any other provider since only fido/rogers block these feature.......its only a fido/rogers thing.....ha been cought in the same boat last years with my then brand new galaxy s9+ bought at samsung canada....all my problem have been solved at the end when i changed provider.....when i bought my brand new s10+ directly again from samsung canada this years.....i didn't have to bother with my provider since when i switched my sim card in my new phone i had all these feature right away.....  😎😎😎😎😎😎 It could take years by complaining at the 'crtc'.....only money will make a move from these big corporative like fido/rogers....and when you change them for any other provider it mean 'lost money'  and money have the bigger effect....far more then the crtc....plus you will have what you want right away.....      

Advising your friend or family to stay away from fido/rogers can make a good impact too until they change their mind.......'one day'  who know......🙄🙄🙄😎😎

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 37
I'm a Contributor Level 2 danthemanx
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@Zxaz wrote:

The problem.....is that instead of complaining....people prefer changing fido/rogers for any other provider since only fido/rogers block these feature.......its only a fido/rogers thing.....ha been cought in the same boat last years with my then brand new galaxy s9+ bought at samsung canada....all my problem have been solved at the end when i changed provider.....when i bought my brand new s10+ directly again from samsung canada this years.....i didn't have to bother with my provider since when i switched my sim card in my new phone i had all these feature right away.....  😎😎😎😎😎😎 It could take years by complaining at the 'crtc'.....only money will make a move from these big corporative like fido/rogers....and when you change them for any other provider it mean 'lost money'  and money have the bigger effect....far more then the crtc....plus you will have what you want right away.....      

Advising your friend or family to stay away from fido/rogers can make a good impact too until they change their mind.......'one day'  who know......🙄🙄🙄😎😎

Dude why are you still here if you apparently switched carriers an eternity ago?

Your messages are barely readable even though I agree with the fact that Fido shouldn't block these services. I myself have a Samsung phone and these services are not working. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 37
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Wickkedd
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I wanted to make it a point that I am leaving Fido today and porting out my number because of this practice. I've waited for a year hoping they would change their policy. Fido / Rogers is following unethical business practice. Their agents say that "they cannot guarantee that these features will work." In fact, they should say, "we guarantee these features WILL NOT work, because we've intentionally blocked them on non-fido devices." They offer to send a PM, and once you start communicating, in the end it all boils down to them refusing to add the IMEI of the device so these services can be provisioned. They are INTENTIONALLY blocked.

I thought I'll post over here before I port out, as my account will become disabled. I hope more people do the same to teach this company a lesson about not lying to their customers and call a spade a spade and say that they INTENTIONALLY block devices from using these features.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 37