Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

Hi guys,

Is it true that a phone that is capable of Volte/HD calling will not work with Fido if the phone was brought over from another carrier?

I am finding that serveral features on my Samsung GS7 Edge are not working the same way as my wife's Samsung GS7 when she is calling others who have the service enabled. The callquality is amazing on her phone.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Non Fido phone - Volte/HD calling

Hello @Krispychik3n it is true if you have a phone that was not purchased from Fido some features like WiFi calling and VoLTE will not work even if the phone is capable of it. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 38
I'm a Participant Level 3 ThE_MarD
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hello, I have come over from Koodo because they also block VoWiFi and VoLTE on Bring Your Own Devices... Just to find out the FAQ that I read on Fido fails to mention BYOD also don't get access to these features.

This Fido VoLTE FAQ is outright lying to us customers and I do feel like I've made the wrong choice.

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/fido-volte

What do I need to have in order to use VoLTE?

All Fido customers on postpaid plans with a VoLTE-compatible phone can take advantage of it anywhere on the Fido LTE network!

Screenshot_Chrome_20181012-194757.png

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 38

Hey @ThE_MarD!

I can understand your frustration there. VoLTE is a popular service.

What kind of phone are you using?

Also, I removed the email address from your last post, as it goes against our commenting policy. You can send the person you want to reach a private message throught the community to contact them. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 38

@FidoPhilippe I also noticed there's a PM feature and deleted that post. Sorry about that, I should have looked for PM service first.

My phone? It's a LeEco Le Max 2. I am one of the official device maintainers for a custom build of Android for this phone (LineageOS) and I am currently running v16.0 of that custom build of Android which is based on Pie (9.0.0).

I've even gone as far as using the complete APN configuration stack from Google on my LeEco Le Max 2... and it won't enable VoLTE.

https://android.googlesource.com/device/sample/+/android-9.0.0_r10/etc/apns-full-conf.xml

Looking at the logcat results from my phone? I can see that it is indeed connecting to Fido IMS and that Fido is not registering my device.

Same goes for my wife who has an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 which was originally purchased from Bell, and she is running the official Samsung build of Android Oreo.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 38
Highlighted

Thanks for clarifying @ThE_MarD,

To make things simpler, you can find more info on this feature and our list of compatible devices here. The remaining requirements will need to be confirmed on our end by going over your account and making sure you have everything in place to enable this feature.

You can reach out to us on any channel here or we can send you a PM on this platform if you prefer.

Let us know how you wish to proceed Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 38
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Hi @FidoSaad,

Can you assist my wife and I with the VOLTE function on our phones? She had to replace her phone and now it's not working. We both have the Galaxy S7...mine being an Edge and hers being the Active model.

Thank you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 38

Hey @Krispychik3n ,

Sure thing. Sending a PM your way to look into this.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 38

@FidoSaad I know my device is VoLTE compatible as I can use VoLTE when on vacation with a carrier that doesn't blacklist BYOD. The issue is Rogers and Fido are blacklisting BYOD from VoLTE and VoWiFi.

I also know that my LeEco Le Max 2 supports all the LTE bands that Rogers/Fido uses

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/227lsoW/leeco-x820-le-max-2-dual-sim-td-lte-32g...

It is the exact same issue with Telus and Koodo and why I switched my wifr and I to Fido as the FAQ clearly states all I would need was a VoLTE compatible phone... Which isn't true since Fido blocks BYOD from that feature.

A perfect example of what I am saying is this one thread where a Pixel 2 XL was purchased directly from Google (so it is BYOD on Fido) and he couldn't get VoLTE or VoWiFi until he "tricked" Fido into provisioning IMS on his account by temporarily using his SIM card in an iPhone

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/38086

So it seems to me the only way I could attempt to get VoLTE and VoWiFi on my Fido account is to buy an iPhone through Fido, get my account provisioned for VoLTE and VoWiFi and then return the iPhone for a refund... Pretty much because I don't know anyone with an iPhone...

I've also called Fido customer service and I asked about VoLTE and VoWiFi and they told me that my account is provisioned for VoLTE and VoWiFi but I needed to purchase a smartphone from Fido for it to work...

Which means the FAQ fails to mention BYOD are blacklisted from VoLTE and VoWiFi.

Please update your FAQ to reflect that Fido blocks BYOD from VoLTE and VoWiFi.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 38
I'm a Participant Level 1 Ngocphi1
I'm a Participant Level 1

There is a reason why your device doesn't support volte on Fido

Other carrier phones may support the main bands but not all devices support volte bands on every carrier

For example Fido supports volte band 7 on certain bands

But Rogers does NOT on those bands but on other bands they may

your usually have to check the manufuacturera website based on the model number you have as mentioned on the volte faq

This is regardless of carrier

There are some phone model numbers that do overlap with certain carriers but you have to match the model number with what bands fido or a other carrier 

Not just the name

That's the risk you take with BYOB

All the store checks for is can you connect to the lte or 3g if you don't support the bands they can't change it for you. You would need a completely new phone and match It

If you look up volte fido mentions which phones and models they sell with volte that's a phsyical requirement 

Crtc requires a license for every band they use Rogers has volte and lte on certain bands so does other carriers have their own they don't cross over

If I remember right some TMobile and at&t ones do too

This is why you have model numbers different for every carrier

In order to use wifi calling you need to have the specific phone models as the software is specific to each model number

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 38

@Ngocphi1 while true some devices might lack LTE VoLTE bands... Please look at how that Pixel 2 XL user was only able to achieve VoLTE and VoWiFi why first provisioning his sim card and account with an iPhone.

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/38086

This is proof that Fido is indeed blacklisting BYOD from VoLTE and VoWiFi without mentioning this limitation in their FAQ. It has nothing to do with his Pixel 2 XL coming from Google and is due to the smartphone not coming directly from Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 38
I'm a Contributor Level 3 Zxaz
I'm a Contributor Level 3

people will never understand after all........of course fido/rogers blacklist all phone they do not sold.....

they register all their own phone in their system....basicaly their system is simply a rolleyes system who only detect their own phone they have bought from manufacturer like samsung/lg.....i fought with them to have all these feature until a technician finally admited this fact to me.....i had to spend many many hours on phone to finally come to this at the end...in my case i resolved this problem when i changed to a other provider simply....poped my new sim and almost instantly BANG i had everything..volte/wi-fi calling....everything....

when you take the time to search...you can have all these feature!!

they told me (fido agent) that they had alot of pressure and complain from subsriber...but reading from this forum it seem still nothing have be done yet...it seem that they simply just dont care from their subscriber after all.....lolll    

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 38