cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone Return and Old Phone Finance

PedroPedro
I'm a contributor level 1

I decided to upgrade my IPhone 7 to the IPhone 11Pro which I did online realizing that I would have to pay off the outstanding balance on the IPhone 7. Subsequently I returned the IPhone 11Pro as it was not suitable for my needs thinking that my contract would revert back to it's original state. I was wrong ! When you upgrade your phone to another device and have a balance on your original device then the financing is cancelled by FIDO. So you end up having to pay the buy out on your original phone and loose the finance on it. FIDO do not warn you of this when making the transaction neither is it clearly stated anywhere. It's not a brilliant policy though as now my phone will be paid off I can switch to another carrier. 

6 REPLIES 6

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Off topic perhaps but how is anyone still financing an iPhone 7? That phone is 5yrs old now

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello PedroPedro,

It is unfortunate you did not fully understand the Payment Program.

@PedroPedro wrote:

... I did online realizing that I would have to pay off the outstanding balance on the IPhone 7....

You are required to pay the outstanding balance of the device because the contract ended early. If the contract had not been cancelled, there would not have been any requirement to pay the remaining balance. It is not possible to continue with a contract which had already been terminated. I'm not aware of any company which would refund you the remaining balance you already paid and re-finance the device.

@PedroPedro wrote:

... FIDO do not warn you of this when making the transaction neither is it clearly stated anywhere. ...

You noted that you did the upgrade yourself online. In addition, it is clearly noted on their Payment Program information page.

Payment Program2.jpg

~taken from here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

PedroPedro

Actually you could not be more wrong. Fido re-financed the Iphone 7 and put the contract and plan to it's original terms without even being asked to. In this situation I have to say kudos to Fido for making the corrections ! Anyways, I was correct, Fido Administration were correct but Fido Senior MVP you are wrong 😞

Hello again,

Firstly, I'm glad you were able to get your issue sorted.

Thank you for so masterfully telling me I was wrong. If the information I provided was incorrect, I stand corrected and apologise. I never claimed to be infallible.

That said, information and/or policy does change. As you note, Fido was not able to initially resolve your issue to your satisfaction. If they have now re-financed your old device and reinstated your plan, something changed since your post.

In addition, I assume you were not the person to accept my original reply as the solution. That means that the moderators deemed the information to be correct at that time.

Cheers

PedroPedro

All said and done when you return a phone within the return policy framework you are in essence cancelling the transaction ergo it follows that the account should return to it's original standing. But it does not because FIDO has not thought this one through. Conceptionally I know I am correct the problem is that FIDO simply does not have the ability to revert back to original standing.

Anyway, it's fine and was just $200.00 and a lesson learned to scrutenize every detail and aspect prior to contracting your services. The bonus is that I now don't have to stay with FIDO and can go with any carrier I wish to. So who wins out ? I do and FIDO looses a customer.

ZeePee
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Looks like their systems are not in anyone's control and has a mind of its own! LOL! Imagine when they tell you that you have to wait indefinately before you get your phone!