cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 H831 Oreo 8.0 Problems

CherryC
I'm a participant level 2

Since I updated to Oreo my LG G5 no longer fast charges and also has mobile network connection issues.

I did a factory reset on my phone to see if this would fix the issue and it did not Angry.

For the mobile network, I lose data access intermittently, even though my status icons say LTE / LTE+. I either have to restart my phone or cycle airplane mode on/off. Using the data on/off toggle does not work. This appears to only be a problem if I am on the move, if I stay at home, no issues. If I cycle airplane mode in another location and stay there no problems.

What has LG done so wrong in this update?

Has anyone been able to resolve this? My phone is near useless now Sad.

36 REPLIES 36

Hey @ryadav,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

Can you clarify if you noticed any improvements after performing the hard reset?

Did the phone just boot back up directly on the Accessibility page? Or are you able to navigate up to this page and not move forward?

We'd just need a bit more info to better understand what's going on Smiley

Hey @ryadav

We haven't heard back from you in a while on this. 

Were you able to get this figured out?

Sounds good @ryadav

Can you keep us posted on if the reset works for you? Smiley 

CherryC

@FidoRanya I called LG support, supposedly this Android 8.0 update messed up a lot of LG G5 models (not just the H831) and also caused other further issues for other people (+ finger print reader not working, + wifi not working, etc).

they are working to send out a patch in November or early December. I guess I'll be stuck waiting Sad

Bryronic

Has this been resolved yet?
I'm getting really annoyed with having to reset my phone as often as I do, not to mention paying for a service/device that, through no fault of my own, isn't working as it should.  I've called Fido and had them reset my network, and when that didn't work I got a new SIM card, and my phone is still dropping my network.

Hey @Bryronic,

Welcome to our Community!

I understand that the situation you're in is definitely not pleasant and that you're expecting your device to be fully functional Sad

We haven't received any news yet for the patch that was to be released, have you tried contacting LG for more details?

Also, would you mind clarifying if you have done a full factory reset or rather a network reset in the phone's Setting?

Keep us posted.

Bryronic

Hi @FidoClaudia,

I contacted LG about the issue.  They said that "normally," it would cost $350-$400 to fix the phone, but if I acted now I can get it fixed for only $200.  So, needless to say, I am not happy with that response.  To me, this is a manufacturer/software issue that is not unique to my phone, so they should be stepping up and fixing this on their dime.

I have not done a full factory reset, as one of the Fido customers in this thread said that did not work for them.  I went to a Fido booth and one of the people working there did a network reset in the phone's settings.  I also call Fido and they did a network reset (a "shot," I think she called it), and that did not work either.

Hey @Bryonic

Were you able to get this resolved?

Hey @Bryonic

Did LG mention what they believed was wrong with your device?  Also, did they verify with you if the phone was still under warranty?

Keep us posted!

Bryronic

Hi @FidoJulien,

I have not been able to get this resolved.  LG didn't tell me anything about what they thought the problem was, and my phone is no longer under warranty.  This is what they said:

Dear Bryan xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting LG regarding your LGH831.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Normally the cost of repairs would be between $350.00 and $400.00 however we have recently begun a new service for cell phones.

The cost of the repair will be $199.00 plus applicable taxes.

To take advantage of this offer you must call our customer service line at 1-888-542-2623 between 9AM and 5PM Monday to Friday.

Hey @Bryronic

Thank you for sharing these updates with us. 

Hey @CherryC

Thank you so much for sharing the information here. I'm sure it's going to be useful to a lot of people using the same device.

SteveJ
  1. I have the same problems with my G5 H831. Randomly losing data connection while connected to network (but the kids can still get internet through my hotspot?!) and my fingerprint reader doesn't even register even more. It's been frustrating as hell, but hopefully this patch will come out soon. Fortunately my device is now paid off so I'll have some options if this isn't resolved. 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @SteveJ, thanks for sharing your experience with the Community.

We do suggest you keep an eye out on our OS Upgrade Schedule as we update it regularly once new updates are announced Smiley

If you do want to look at options for a new phone at any point you can contact us but you can also view offers exclusive to you right on your Fido.ca account and even complete the upgrade there! You even save the $35 transaction fee by doing that.

SteveJ

I hate to say it, but I picked up a SIN card for another network to test it out, and no more connectivity issues.  Pop the Fido card in and it's right back to phantom disconnects. So unless everyones' sin cards went bad, there appears to be an issue on Fido's end as well. 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @SteveJ,

Have you had the chance to reach our technical support team as well to have this looked into? Based on the description you've provided, your issue does not seem to be only related to the latest software update.

You can contact us at these channels so we can assist. We can also send you a PM here if you prefer. Let us know!