cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI & Blacklisting iPhone

Appledude0101
I'm a participant level 3

So I bought a sealed Iphone 6S from a guy from work. He got an upgrade and he was satisfied with his 6 Plus he currently had so he sold it to me. I know this guy and hes not sketchy at all but I do have some concerns. Now the phone was sealed in shrink wrap and his SIM had never been inside of it. I was able to activate the phone on a prepaid account (I prefer using prepaid services). When I activated it, Fido asked for the SIM number (which i bought from a fido store) and the IMEI of my phone. Is that IMEI now tied to my account or is it still tied to his? If he stops paying his bills can Fido blacklist the phone? Can he report it as lost or stolen (I noticed that I have the option to in the My Account Page).. Thanks all!

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Appledude0101 & welcome to the Community. Smiley

When an upgrade is done, the IMEI of the phone is automatically added to the account. It's however possible to have the same IMEI on multiple accounts if the user of the phone changes. That said, the IMEI would be associated to both your accounts.

In regards to what would happen should he stop paying his bills, we wouldn't blacklist the phone. The only time a phone would be blacklisted is if it were reported stolen and the owner requests to have the phone blacklisted. 

The option on Fido.ca to report a phone stolen would simply block his services; it would not automatically blacklist the phone.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers!

Appledude0101

What if he falsely reports the phone as stolen to get a new one under his Insurance protection plan you guys offer 

Appledude0101

Would that render the phone useless to me? Do you guys blacklist in that situation?

If he makes a claim to Asurion (device protection plan) that the phone was stolen, the IMEI would be automatically blacklisted. However, to make a claim, the IMEI would have had to be in use by his phone number.

If he never activated the SIM - therefore never used the phone with his number - he wouldn't be able to file a claim for that phone.

Hope this helps. Smiley

LG76

Bought a sealed XR and now 3 weeks later its been blacklisted so it's rendered useless.  

This phone was sealed and no SIM or cell number previously associated with it.

So how is this person making a claim if the phone was never activated?

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @LG76 Smiley

This shouldn't be the case, a phone can only be blacklisted by a user if it was used on the account within the last 60 days.

We'll have to take a look at things, I sent you a PM.

Appledude0101

So basically I'm good? Smiley

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

P.S. Just be caution that do NOT let anyone puts another sim in this phone. 

If you do, then theoretically someone else may be able to block this phone. 

You got it! Very_Happy