cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei controversy

larissa3
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

What will Fido do for their customers if Canada bans Huawei????  We should be able to exchange phones without penalty with all the controvercy

12 REPLIES 12

FidoFrancois
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @larissa3 Thank you for posting. Smiley

Rest assured, that the security of our networks is very important to us, and we collaborate with government and industry partners to ensure that our networks are safe and secure.  We have a rigorous process in place when we look at any potential supplier. In addition, every device we sell meets all Government of Canada standards and are certified for use in Canada.

With that being said returns and exchange conditions are defined by our regular Buyer’s Remorse Policy, which you can find here

Hope this put your concerns at rest. 

azdoune
I'm a contributor level 2

Google have banned Huawei from updates.

What is fido position about that?

Hey @azdoune,

Thanks for sharing your concern! 

Huawei Canada has announced that they will continue to provide security updates to all existing Huawei & Honor smartphones and tablets already sold or still in stock globally. 

azdoune

Security updates are not OS upgrade. So no new Android update like android 10 for us. 

When I paid for an android phone I want the future update for my phone.

Now it's impossible.

P20 pro was supposed to have emui 9.1... no news.

P20 pro was supposed to have Android 10.

Now it's impossible and the value for my phone has dropped...

We definitely get where you're coming from here.

That said, Huawei has yet to announce the support status of Android Q but they will be doing so shortly.

For more information about this, please keep an eye out for Huawei’s announcement or reach out directly to Huawei Canada.

azdoune

I'm sorry but Huawei can't support Android Q with the new rules.

They don't have access anymore to Android license.

Even security updates will take more time , because they're gonna use Asop version of Android.

What is fido position about that? 

What can we do now?

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

There's a simple solution to this problem. Huawei can let us freely unlock the bootloader again, and we can choose what OS we'd prefer to use. Android is open source btw so this nonsense that you can't get Android Q is uninformed. The only real issue is the lack of access to the play store but I'm positive you'll be able to sideload any apk you want. 

azdoune

The real issue here is the value of my phone. 

A phone where I need to unlock a bootloader to access playstore isn't user-friendly.

Same problem here. If I use Android and not emui the hardware will not be used well by the software.

For exemple if you use Google APK for your camera it's not good as Huawei software.

But I need playstore. 

For the first time, I don't see a solution except if Huawei have access again to google license

azdoune

And little update : google retire Huawei du programme beta Android 10 Q.

Google removed Huawei from beta program to Android 10 Q. 

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Time for a big slash in P30 Pro prices. I'd buy one in a minute if they lowered the price dramatically. Basically we're rolling the dice with no clear idea what happens Aug 19th when the ban takes affect. 

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Interesting that google is now banning its software for Huawei devices. This is very reminiscent of the ban slapped on ZTE basically killing their footprint in North America. Afaik this affects upcoming devices and of course security updates to current devices. Honestly this will be a blip on the radar for Huawei as Google doesn’t exist for the Chinese market where Huawei dominates. It’s cute how they fail to mention that Android is open source so Huawei can easily just wait till it’s freely available and make their new EMUI skin on top of that.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Larissa3,

Welcome to the community!

The recent talk of the government banning Huawei does not relate to their cellphones. It is in regards to Huawei building the new 5G network. Cellphones are unlikely to be affected.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers