cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei GR5 how can I connect to internet without SIM

zm4
I'm a participant level 2

Huawei GR5, no SIM card inserted.... Connects OK to WIFI but wont connect to the internet. please advise...I got this phone to travel and will not be using my FIDO SIM with it...only Internet needed.  How do i do that? please dont tell me I need a SIM for internet!

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @zm4

Were you able to resolve this? Did @Cawtau's reply help? 

Let us know! Smiley

zm4

issue resolved using an Unactivated SIM card from Chatr...so as far as i can tell, it just needed a SIM.

Wifi i was trying is public/open...

still doesnt explain why it needs a SIM card for wifi, but ...for now its working

thanks!

Hello again,

I understand this is an old thread, but I recently replied to a post which reminded me of this issue. I'm glad the OP was able to get their phone to connect to the internet. I find it strange, though, that the phone needed a SIM to connect to Wifi. The other thread just reminded myself that my brother-in-law actually uses the same phone as a Wifi-only (ie no SIM) device without issue. I'm not sure why there is the difference in functionality. Perhaps there's a setting somewhere or a OS update that sets the two devices apart...

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@zm4 Glad that you got this resolved and thanks for sharing the solution. Smiley

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Zm4,

Welcome to the community!

Wifi connects to local area networks (LANs) and does not need a SIM.

Are you getting any error messages?

Are you connected to your personal or a public LAN? Have you verified the passwords to access the networks? Have you verified the networks have access to the internet? If you are trying to connect to a public LAN, do they have an additional login page (ie accept terms & conditions, etc). Sometimes those login pages only open on the phone's native Internet browers. For example, I personally like to use Chrome as my phone's browser. However, I have to use my phone's Internet browser to login into some public LAN (hotels, McDonalds, etc).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers