cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to port number?

me0kat
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I am currently with Koodo and just got a new phone but am thinking of returning it and cancelling my service to switch to Fido - In order to keep the same number, how long would it take to port my phone number to Fido? And how long after can I cancel my current provider?

I am worried that if I cancel too soon, the port won't be succesful- I really don't want to lose the number I have.

Thanks

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

For my experience, port in from Koodo/ Telus should not be longer than 1 day. Usually it took about  30 minutes to 3 hours if the information you given is correct. 

Once your number is already portin to Fido, your old account in Koodo will be automaticly cancelled. 

FidoKenny

Hello meOkat Smiley

First of all, I can see that you are a new member and would like to welcome you to the Fido Community. 

If you are now with another provider and would like to transfer your phone number to Fido, it's really important not to cancel your service. If you do, you will automatically lose your phone number and will have to get a brand new one with us. Your number and your account have to remain active with your old service provider until the port-in is completed.

Concerning the delays, it usually takes about 2.5 hours to complete the port-in, but could take up to a week, depending on the complexity of the transfer and your Old Service Provider.

You will be given a temporary number until the port-in process is completed.

Let me know if you have more questions Smiley

Steve49
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

How long does it take to get a text message to say yes to?