cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One S mobile data - should I be able to switch to 4G only (HSPA), reliably?

jmrudow
I'm a participant level 3

I live and work in Kanata (i.e., west Ottawa). If I go into my HTC One S under Settings > Mobile Data > Network Mode and switch from "GSM / HSPA auto" to "HSPA only", the data connection frequently times out (when I have it on "GSM / HSPA auto" it constantly jumps between Edge and 4G).

As far as reception goes - I always have 4-5 bars (out of 5).

Should I not be able to switch to "HSPA only" and have a reliable, fast 4G mobile data connection?

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Hey jmrudow!

Being on HSPA only means that if there isn't a strong enough connection to the HSPA network, your phone will have no reception. Although there is full EDGE, HSPA and LTE coverage in your area, some places will not be able to connect to HSPA due to physical limitations and network traffic.

For example, if you are in a building, that building may have very thick walls which would prevent the HSPA signal from going through. Another example would be if you are in a very crowded area at peak hours, it is possible that the HSPA network is too crowded for your phone to connect to it.

I hope that this answers your question.

jmrudow

Hi FidoJudhy,

Thanks for the response! That all makes sense.

- I find I have the same quality of 4G reception indoors or outdoors, so the building doesn't seem to make a difference.

- I'm in Kanata, which is solidly covered by the HSPA network.

- It seems to be unreliable regardless of time of day - unless the HSPA network in Kanata is constantly overwhelmed, all day every day.

I've read in this forum and in others that the One S can have signal issues. I've been watching the "Network Signal Info" app on my phone for the last ten minutes - I consistently have -65 to -75 dBm, which (from what I've read) is pretty good. But for 90% of the time, I've only been connected to UMTS (not HSPA).

I'm curious if a) anyone else in Ottawa with the HTC One S has trouble reliably staying on 4G, and b) if anyone with a different phone in Ottawa can get a reliable, constant connection to the 4G network.

Again, thanks for any help!