Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Hero - can send MMS but nobody, even me, is receiving them

LilyRosemary
I'm a participant level 2

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me. Using the APN settings I have found here and elsewhere I am successfully using my HTC Hero on Fido. The only thing I'm having problems with is MMS. I can successfully send MMS but it appears they are just going out into the mists of time.

Whether I've sent them to someone else or to myself (as a test) the received report just continually says "status pending".

Any thoughts or ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

***Edited to add labels***

11 REPLIES 11

fidoOlivier
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it. For any & all unlocked devices you can access the Link below which will provide you with all the information needed on how to configure an Unlocked device no matter the manufacture.

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/phonewarranty/configure_unlocked_device_guide

Hope this helps!

silentbuddha
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

the answer provided by FidoJonathan is correct, howerver, keep in mind of these 2 important points

1 - make sure you are aware of MMS rate for send & receiving

2 - certain handsets can only handle certain image formats (ie...if your friend takes a picture and it is in PNG format and if your android does not support that image format, you will not be able to see that picture )

The important question is : Does the user need to set up WAP ( Mobile Surfing ) in order for mms to work ?

The second question is : If the user just sets up MMS and Fido Internet profiles and send an MMS will the user get charged data ???

Hello silentbuddha,

The user will not need to setup the WAP in order to send or receive MMS messages. All you need to setup are the 2 APN as mention on the previous link send.

The User is indeed being billed for data when sending or receiving an MMS. Sending or receiving an MMS without a data plan is not supported via Fido Support. Doing so will be at your own risk.

If you need to call customer service to add a data plan. Please advise them you need a Smartphone data plan.

I hope this helps,

LilyRosemary

Thank you FidoJonathan and SilentBuddha for your advice, but I still cannot receive MMS using my Hero 2.1 on Fido.

While the 2 separate APNs system may work on other Androids, it definitely does not on Hero. FidoJonathan, I tried your two APN sesttings multiple times and no sending or receiving MMS.  I found this on an android forum:

"NOTE: My old phone (Nokia 5800) used 2 APN definitions, one for internet and another for picture messaging. This DOES NOT WORK on the Hero. You set up a single APN definition for both to get it all working

On the e home screen, press the Menu hardkey and choose Settings. T

1. Select Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Settings
  2. Make sure data roaming is on, and "Use only 2G networks" is off.
  3. Under network operators, I selected Fido manually to ensure I'm not accidentally roaming onto Bell or Telus.
  4. Select "Access Point Names" aka (APNs).
  5. Deleted the ones that were there.
  6. Hit the MENU button > New APN.
  7. Used the following settings:
    • Name: Fido Internet
    • APN: internet.fido.ca
    • Proxy: 205.151.11.11
    • Port: 8080
    • Username: fido
    • Password: fido
    • Server: <blank>
    • MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
    • MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
    • MMS Port: <blank>
    • MMS Protocol: Wap 2.0
    • MCC: 302
    • MNC: 370
    • APN type: <blank> *"

Unfortunately, while this worked for this person on a previous version (1.6?), it does not allow me to send mms on Hero 2.1 either.

When I made my first post, I had found a way to send messages modifying the one APN somehow but I've lost the exact formula now and can not even send a message now much less have it be received somewhere.

I'm sure there must be a way to do this and I will continue to seek the solution but need to take a few days off to cook turkey, etc. and  restore my sanity.

Please, please, if anyone here with an HTC Hero 2.1 is able to both send and receive picture messages (mms), please post the exact APN settings for me.  Thank you.

Happy Holidays to all.

mobichuck
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

I don't know if you ever solved this problem, but I had the same issue aswell.

I'm using an unlocked Android phone and I wasn't able to receive MMS (SMS worked fine).

I found a solution on some forum yesterday.  Instead of having 2 APN settings, delete the other ones, and change to 1, but with the following settings:

• Name: Fido
  • APN: internet.fido.ca
  • Proxy: Not Set
  • Port: Not Set
  • Username: fido
  • Password: fido
  • Server: Not Set
  • MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
  • MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
  • MMS Port: Not Set
  • MCC: 302
  • MNC: 370
  • Authentication Type: Not Set
  • APN type: internet + mms
Yesterday, when I made this change, I started to receive multimedia messages, but with the message "go to fido.ca/photos to retrieve it". This was better, but still not great. This morning, I was about to investigate the problem again, but I sent a test message first, and now it works perfectly. Picture messages are sending and receiving no problem! Not sure why it needed to bake over night, or what changed from last night to today, but it works!
The other thing I did, but don't think it would make a difference to this issue, was download Handscent from the Android Market. This fixed the timestamp issue I was having on the received messages. I know a lot of people have this issue with unlocked phones on Fido. However, picture messages are being received normally through the standard messaging app and Handscent app, so I believe it was the APN settings that fixed the problem.

if you are going to use proxy 205.151.011.011 the corresponding apn for that is wap.fido.ca with user name fido and password fido

One more thing to add : if you are going to use proxy 205.151.011.011 the corresponding apn for that is wap.fido.ca with user name fido and password fido and apn type would be WAP or WAP 2.0

I recall way way back that fido mms size could not exceed 300 KB ( kiloByte )....I believe that still holds true

silentbuddha
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

are you able to send an mms with text only to yourself ???

LilyRosemary

Hi SilentBuddha,

Yes, I can send text messages to myself okay. The report says received and I get the visual notification too.

Are you using a Hero on Fido? If you are and the picture messaging is working for you, what are your APN settings?

Thanks in advance if you can help me.

Hello LylyRosemary,

Welcome to the fido technical community,

There is already a discussion of the android's settings on this link above about the same issue:

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Apps_addons/message-id/240#M240

I have posted the setting for the APN(Access Point Pames) settings there.