Fido Mobile LTE Hotpost as primary household internet device

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Fido Mobile LTE Hotpost as primary household internet device

Hi all, 

My wife and I are moving up to northern BC, to an area with no high-speed internet access, so we have to consider alternatives. Mobile internet it highway robbery, especially with usage limits but it seems we have no other option. So, accepting that, Fido's plans seem good compared to the competition. However, it still has to work. Does anyone here use Fido's LTE Mobile Hotspot? What are your experiences with it? We'd be in a 4G (not LTE) coverage area, so how would that affect speed?

The thing that strikes me as odd is the plans that are offered with this device. One plan requires a 2 year agreement, the other none. Here's the thing: the rates on the plan with the agreement are much higher! Now, I know the agreement saves you the $200 purchase price of the LTE Hotspot device, but with typical usage patterns, you'd make that money back using the plan without the agreement in WELL under 2 years. It seems bizarre.....any thoughts as to why this is? Link to the plans is below:

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/monthly/internetdevicesplans

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Mobile LTE Hotpost as primary household internet device

Hey brian89,

Yes, there's a 15 day satisfaction guarantee to try it out Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

We have been using the lte hotspot and find it works well. We have used it on 4g and although slower, it's not bad for simple reading emails, etc, but you have slight delay on loading web pages. We are still waiting for our first bill, to clarify how they charge, is it ten dollar, then twenty-five dollars on top for a gigabite? We find the lte better than our packet radio internet.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kggroves wrote:

We have been using the lte hotspot and find it works well. We have used it on 4g and although slower, it's not bad for simple reading emails, etc, but you have slight delay on loading web pages. We are still waiting for our first bill, to clarify how they charge, is it ten dollar, then twenty-five dollars on top for a gigabite? We find the lte better than our packet radio internet.

It would be $10 if you use up to 150 MB. If you go over, it would be $25 and you'd have up to 1 GB (not $10 plus $25). 

I hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted

If I did it, I would likely go month to month, as we are not living in this area long term, so I don't want to be locked in. If I buy the hotspot outright, and went month to month, could I try it, and test for connection/speed? And return if it didn't work?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hey brian89,

Yes, there's a 15 day satisfaction guarantee to try it out Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5