cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Home Phone : Nomorobo, number of rings b4 voicemail, change ringer?

dguard1
I'm a participant level 2

I'm receiving frequent spam calls on my Fido Home Phone.  I need a service such as Nomorobo on this line; however, this service is not available for Fido Home Phone.  I'm seriously considering switching to another provider if there is no remedy. Can Fido support provide a solution to stopping spam calls while allowing legitimate calls?

In order to filter calls, I'd like to change the ringer on my Fido Home Phone.  For example, door buzzer phone number should be readily discernable from other callers.  Can Fido support provide a solution?

I'd like to extend the number of rings on my Fido Home Phone before voicemail kicks in.  Why is it changing this setting such a secret -- "Please PM me...", etc.  Can Fido support provide me a solution to adjusting the number of rings before voicemail kicks in?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Dguard1,

Firstly,

@dguard1 wrote:... Why is it changing this setting such a secret -- "Please PM me...", etc. ..

Contrary to what some people seem to think, requesting to discuss things via PM isn't to keep any potential solutions secret. Certain assistance requires access to customers' accounts. This is a public forum and discussing the access to customers' accounts in this venue is not appropriate. For instance, I believe changing the number of rings can only be done by customer service (see here). Another community member posted a ring code you might try, however, that method doesn't appear to work for everyone. If that method doesn't work, the change would have to be done by customer service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they will also be able to access your account.

That said, I believe they might be making changes to the voicemail system so the process to change the number of rings might also be different.

With regards to the frequent SPAM, I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. There isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

Mobile providers and landline providers simply cannot block a number without absolute proof that the owner of the number is engaged in nefarious activities. If the spammers chose to spoof your number. I think you would agree that if they blocked your number simply based on its apparent use to make SPAM calls or send SPAM SMS, you would not be impressed. How about if you received a SPAM call from your own spoofed number? Would you insist they block your phone number? Should they block the RCMP phone number?

I understand some apps might offer that service. However, that blocking list only affects people who opt to use those apps. Honest customers who might actually own those numbers can still use their services, just not to call people using those apps. If a mobile provider were to do the same, honest customers would have difficulties using their services.

Everyone agrees that SPAM calls and SMS are problematic. However, blocking the spoofed numbers is not feasible. Blocking innocent customers for no reason is NOT acceptable. In the Western world, people are deemed innocent until proven guilty. It has been suggested that customers with blocked phone numbers could somehow verify their calls prior to calls connecting. An honest customer should not have to prove their innocence by having to call an operator to connect a call because their number was used in a spoofing SCAM! That would be a presumption of guilt.

I understand it appears like they might only be targeting Fido customers, however, none of the providers are immune to the SPAM calls everyone has been receiving. In fact, the problem is broader than solely a Canadian issue -- it's Worldwide (see here).

It's actually not that difficult for spammers/scammers to direct those calls to a particular provider. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain area code and prefix combinations are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc. All a spammer/scammer needs to do is have a computer sequentially dial the numbers of a desired area code/prefix combination from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with their desired target (see here). They'll likely change the message depending on the area code/prefix combination. There have been instances where people who have ported their phone numbers to other providers still receive SPAM directed at their original providers.

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Switching providers might seem like a solution. If friends or co-workers haven't been receiving the same calls on different providers, it's likely because those particular spammers/scammers haven't targeted their area code/prefix combinations recently. It doesn't mean that all of those providers' customers haven't received SPAM calls.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

dguard1

Thank you, Cawtau.

The US has taken some initiative as they have already mandated certain protocols to be implemented.  It truly is a world-wide epidemic and I hope Canada will follow suit as quickly and as effectively as possible.  

I contacted support to have the number of rings extended.  This will be a great help as wasting one ring just to discern whether the door buzzer is being used rather than some spoofed number did cause me to lose a parcel delivery.  That moment of hesitation, followed by a scramble to reach the phone just to hear it jump to voicemail, followed by a rush down flights of stairs just to see that the delivery guy was long gone...  truly frustrating.  I suppose that my frustration caused me to lash out.  For what it is worth, "Please PM me..." is not as meaningful a response as "You must call customer support.".  Nevertheless, kudos to the customer support person who handled my call.  His service was quick and efficient.  A+ as usual, might I add.

That being said, it would be great if the cellphone receiver used by the Fido Home Phone service would support in-house or third-party applications that help screen those nuisance calls.  If I switched to VOIP, this anti-spam technology could be made available to me.  As such, I'm still considering my options but I wonder whether even this approach will be effective.