Esim support

I'm a Contributor Level 1 livefaisal
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Esim support

Hi

i am wondering if Fido is supporting esim on iPhone xs. If not when it will be possible for them to support. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Esim support

Hey Community!

Just wanted to take a moment to share some good news today Smiley

Fido customers can now activate eSIM on their iPhone Xr, Xs, Xs Max, Google Pixel 3a or Pixel 3a XL! 

The activation of the eSIM on these devices must be done in a corporate Fido store. Our customer care can also activate, as long as it's for a BYOP line. 

Also, keep in mind that eSIM activations are only available on no-term activations at this time. 

One last thing to note is that the iPhone on which you're trying to activate the eSIM must have an Internet connection, either through WiFi or through the primary SIM. The connection is used to download the SIM profile to the eSIM.

We hope this helps! 

***Update*** As of 06/06/2019 you can now activate an eSIM with an iPhone Xr, Xs, or Xs Max on a 2 year term. 

***Update*** As of 10/17/2019 eSIM can be activated in any Fido Corporate store. Check out our store locator to find the nearest one. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 100
I'm a Participant Level 3 logicallayer
I'm a Participant Level 3

How about Apple Watch? Can we enable Esim for it?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 81 of 100

Hey @logicallayer! I hope you're doing well. Smiley

At this time we do not carry any Apple Watch on Fido and thus do not support the Esim for it either.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 82 of 100
I'm a Participant Level 1 mike_4mb
I'm a Participant Level 1

I assume that Fido will support eSIM on Pixel 3?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 83 of 100
I'm a Participant Level 1 JZHang1

Yeah man, looks like there is no Fido store in Halifax that can active esim.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 84 of 100

Hey @mike_4mb

We currenlty support it on the Google Pixel 3a or Pixel 3a XL with Android 9.0 or newer.

Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 85 of 100
I'm a Participant Level 2 thekerrigans
I'm a Participant Level 2

can I have my only number as an esim?

iphone xr

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 86 of 100
Moderator (inactive) FidoFaiza
Moderator (inactive)

Hi @thekerrigans, do you mean you wish to only have an eSIM in your iPhone Xr without a physical sim card? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 87 of 100
I'm a Participant Level 1 MS16

Got my esim activated on my iPhone XS today. I am glad Fido is finally supporting this feature. I am not happy, however, how they are going about it. When I first heard about esim being implanted in phones, the first thought that went through my mind was that how we can save on plastic use. No more  cards to throw away after you take off a tiny piece. I was rather shocked to find out that in order to active phones internal esim, Fido reps still need to activate the same size card, but with out punch out SIM card, which has the QR code that you scan to activate esim. Why can’t we just scan this code right from the computer monitor? Why can’t they just print this QR code on a piece of paper? So that the company can still justify charging a $10 fee? Since there is no physical sim card attached to this piece of QR code card, print on business card stock if need be. Let’s save our planet. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 88 of 100
I'm a Participant Level 1 jdavidp

Hello,

I am looking to purchase an esim. There is not a Fido store in my city. Here https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/esim-faq it states I can call to purchase an esim by calling and it will be mailed. Is the website incorrect, as when I contacted support they did not know what I was talking about and said it was not possible, although the website clearly states it can be done over the phone. I do not want to drive 1.5 hours each way to get a QR code that should be able to be emailed.

Any support would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 89 of 100

Hey @jdavidp,

I've moved your post to this existing thread.

To guide you through the steps you'd need to follow to get your eSIM, can you please let us know if you're planning to swap your SIM for an eSIM, or if you want to activate a brand new line with an eSIM?

If it's for a new line activation, are you planning to activate it with a 2-year agreement and a phone or just on a BYOP plan?

You can find more details related to the eSIM processes in the solution above.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 90 of 100