Embedded SIM supported?

I'm a Participant Level 1 sangle2
I'm a Participant Level 1

Embedded SIM supported?

I am recently considering to buy iPhone Xs unlocked phone which supports dual SIM system, the one is physical and the other is eSIM.

I wonder if Fido is able to support eSIM for iPhone instead of physical nano SIM.

If so, how could I use it and am I able to use current plan after changing SIM from nano SIM to eSIM?

Accepted Solution

Re: Embedded SIM supported?

Hey @shadow8282 and thanks for posting! Very Happy

You will be able to use your Fido SIM with the new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max models. At this time we do not have more information on eSIM but if anything changes we'll be updating Fido.ca

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 25

Hey @nomadmtl! Congrats on you first post. Smiley

As much as I'd love to be able to answer your question, at this at the time it would be a hypothetical since we currently don't support it. If that changes, it may be a possibility, but no guaranties.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 25
I'm a Participant Level 3 john992
I'm a Participant Level 3

According to Apple, Fido / Rogers supports esim.

So when will Fido roll it out?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 25
Moderator (inactive) FidoRanya
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @john992

No news on that for now, we only support physical sim cards at this time!

Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 25
I'm a Contributor Level 1 globalstar66
I'm a Contributor Level 1

How can you not have ANY news on ESim - it's all over the news that Fido/Rogers now have ESim - just nobody at Rogers/Fido knows it.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 25
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@globalstar66 wrote:

How can you not have ANY news on ESim - it's all over the news that Fido/Rogers now have ESim - just nobody at Rogers/Fido knows it.

@globalstar66 you are reading it wrong all those news outlet is making assumptions based on Apple's website. Last time I check Apple is not Rogers/Fido. Until Rogers/Fido officially announce support for eSIM everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's most likely they will and Apple just jump the gun and added them to the list.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 25
I'm a Participant Level 1 mtc
I'm a Participant Level 1

Have anybody able to switch to esim? iPhone XS thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 25
Highlighted
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

Hello @mtc,

Currently Fido has not officially announce the support of e-SIM if or when they do they will announce it on the website.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 25
I'm a Contributor Level 1 globalstar66
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hahaha what a JOKE. Fido doesn't give a rat's about their customers. If they did, they would give all their customers access to the SAME deals. But some people that have a single line and have been customers for a year, pay 40% less than others with 5 lines for the past 8 years. My brother and I are those examples. And please - Apple has provisioned Fido AND Rogers for months now for eSim. The initial 3 months exclusive they gave to Bell ended at the end of November... It's Feb 2019 now. Most utterly useless network on the planet.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 25
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

last i checked on apple site, rogers is not listed as supporter carrier, you will have to do research on esim supporter carriers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 25
MVP
MVP

Hello Globalstar66,

@globalstar66 wrote:...Apple has provisioned Fido AND Rogers for months now for eSim....

I'm not sure Apple needed to provision the mobile providers for eSIM. Apparently, it was Rogers who told Apple they were going to support eSIM in December. Accordingly, Apple put that information on their website. However, for some reason, that support has not yet come to fruition. As such, Apple has removed eSIM as one of the features Rogers supports (see here and here). Strangely, Apple still lists eSIM as one of Fido's supported features. That said, keeping that feature as supported for Fido was likely an oversight on Apple's part.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 25