ESim support

I'm a Participant Level 2 Colinlewissmith
I'm a Participant Level 2

ESim support

Apple is announcing Rogers/Fido as now supporting eSim. Is this available immediately? Can I walk into a store and transfer my account to an eSim?

This is an important upgrade for me as I am out of country Jan-March and want to use dual sims (Canadian eSim, and local sim for data). 

Accepted Solution

Re: ESim support

Hey @Colinlewissmith!

Thanks for posting Smiley That's an excellent question!

At this time, you can only use a physical SIM card. We'll update you on eSIM for iPhone when there are more details to share.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 12
Solution

Hey @Colinlewissmith!

Thanks for posting Smiley That's an excellent question!

At this time, you can only use a physical SIM card. We'll update you on eSIM for iPhone when there are more details to share.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 12
I'm a Participant Level 2 Colinlewissmith

This is horrible coordination between Apple and Rogers/Fido.

Apple announces RogersFido as an eSim partner and staff at Rogers/Fido are completely unprepared to discuss it, let alone deploy it. I suggest you customer facing staff yell your way up the internal chain of command. 

Thanks for the response. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 12
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Wickkedd
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Very well said. Fido is clueless, and very sad that Apple knows more about Fido than Fido themselves. Apple has updated their partner list of providers that support esim, and Fido is clearly one of them, yet Fido is absolutely clueless about it. You agents need to escalate this to the higher ups for not giving the appropriate training to front line staff. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 12
I'm a Contributor Level 1 globalstar66

Agree, one of THE most clueless businesses around - they don't have a clue what's going on.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 tp000
I'm a Participant Level 1

Agreed.  Most clueless wireless Co. Nothing ever changes. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 12
I'm a Participant Level 1 Leon8
I'm a Participant Level 1

It's February 2019 now. any update for the esim feature?

Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 12
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@Leon8 wrote:

It's February 2019 now. any update for the esim feature?

Thanks.

Nothing as yet.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 12
I'm a Participant Level 2 tedduskes

I think it is important to point out that Fido DOES support the esim, but only in the apple watch. Now the reason for that may be technical (i highly doubt that, since the esim in the watch and that in the phones works identically), or maybe, just maybe there is something more sinister at play.
Assuming that the  esim worked in the iphone, then a cleint would be able to use the esim when in Canada, but switch to the normal sim, on a low cost us carrier, like ting or consumer cellular, when in the US.

In that way, the cleint would not be getting totally hosed and pickpocketed by Fido with their current $7/day max 15 day roam (compared to their $5/day max 10 days like it was about 12 months ago).

Maybe I am just a suspicious guy - but every time I turn around Fido has found a new way to dip into my pocket. One day it will be enough and I will take my 5 lines and just walk away. The only problem in that is the competition in Canada is so limited that they all have managed to make us pay some of the highest cell phone costs in the world.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 12
MVP
MVP

Hello Tedduskes,

@tedduskes wrote:

I think it is important to point out that Fido DOES support the esim, but only in the apple watch....

Where did you find that information? As far as I am aware, Fido does not currently support cellular services for smart watches (see here and here). If they don't support smart watch cellular services, it's unlikely they will support the eSIM for them at this time.

I understand some carriers, which provide cellular services for smart watches, have decided not to support the eSIM in the phone models at this time. I'm not sure of the basis of that decision, but it doesn't mean it won't be available in the future. It also doesn't mean something more sinister is at play.

@tedduskes wrote:...Assuming that the  esim worked in the iphone, then a cleint would be able to use the esim when in Canada, but switch to the normal sim, on a low cost us carrier, like ting or consumer cellular, when in the US....

I doubt the notion that mobile providers are not enabling the eSIM in those phones is to prevent customers from using local SIMs when travelling. Since all cellular phones in Canada are now unlocked, anyone can choose to switch SIMs when they travel. They can use local SIMs with or without an eSIM. Admittedly, it isn't as convenient as a dual-SIM phone or a phone with a functional eSIM, but it is possible.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 12
I'm a Contributor Level 1 scottolson

ESim is a feature I have been waiting to arrive for some time. It's annoying that Fido/Rogers is taking so long to support this feature, my contract is up in January 2020, it will definitely be a consideration when I renew and get the latest iPhone. I've been with Fido for 20 years,  I really don't want to go through the hassle of switching providers but at the end of the day, there are certain services that simply have to be provided to remain competitive. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 12
I'm a Participant Level 2 RazorbladeUSMC

eSIM

When will Fido start supporting our iPhones with eSim like Bell and Virgin does, because if it’s anytime after I pay off my phone I’m outta here!!  Do WE understand each other FIDO?? Enough already!!!!! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 12