cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO NOT switch to Fido cell phone

tran6711
I'm a participant level 3

For those of you who are thinking about switching to Fido, please DO NOT and below is my experience today

I decided to switch to Fido from Bell last Friday to reduce the monthly cost and it is a terrible decision. I received the sim card today, called Fido to activate it. After waiting for 45 minutes on the phone, I finally reached someone to help me with the activation. She got my number ported from Bell to Fido and somehow didn't activate the sim card with that number. I put in Fido sim card and got a completly different number. She kept me on the phone for 2 hours trying to figure out how to fix it. Then after 2 hours, she forwarded me to her supervisor who keep me on the phone for another hour and hang up on me when she couldn't know what to do with it. 

I wasted over 3 hours on the phone with Fido and I now have a phone activated with a different number. I don't know what is happening with my phone number and I don't think I can switch back to Bell with the same plan I have had, which is a pretty good plan

I know I will have to spend hours and hours with Fido just to cancel the service but I will do it as I cannot believe how unprofessional Fido customer service agents are. For the whole 4 hours, they didn't even offer one appology for the terrible mistake they made. 

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM FIDO, IT IS NOT WORTH IT TRYING TO REDUCE $5-$10/MONTH AND GOING THROUGH HELL LIKE I AM NOW.

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Tran6711,

Welcome to the community!

It sounds like you don't understand how the phone number port process works. The porting does not complete immediately, it can take a little while. It is completely normal to get a temporary number until the porting process completes (see here).

I do not know if there were any difficulties with porting your phone number over from your other provider. However, from what you note, it appears to be the normal process. If anything, it's unfortunate that the process was not explained to you.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

tran6711

Thanks for your info but it is not me who think that the porting number went wrong. Fido agent told me that she didn't know why the number was not ported properly and then her supervisor told me that the wrong sim card has been used and she was trying to figure out how to fix it. And then the call got disconnected by Fido. I totally understand that it will take some time for the porting process to complete. I didn't put Fido sim card in until my Bell phone shows that Bell service has been disconnected. It was Fido agent and her supervisor told me that the porting process was screwed up somehow. The point is they didn't bother to call me back when the call got disconnected from their side. I really think that they hung up on my to avoid dealing with the issue. 

Hey @tran6711

Were you able to get things resolved in the end?

tran6711

I finally got a hold of someone at Fido who knows how to handle the porting process properly. It has been a painful process which could be avoided if Fido agents are properly trained with the process. I understand that I am trying to reduce the cost and there is a price to pay for that reduction but I still think Fido could do a better job to reduce the pain that customers have to go through

pororo2
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

how did you go about porting your number? Is there a specific number to call or can it just be done online? 

I'm in the same boat, just received sim card with the temporary number and need to port asap

Hello Pororo2,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, requesting a number port cannot be done online. You would need to contact customer services to request the port-over. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your accounts.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Thanks for sharing your feedback @tran6711