Are voice calls transmitted on both WCDMA and GSM?

SOLVED
Gnayezux
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi, I have recently purchased a device outside Canada and noticed that:

The device has some compatible bands with Fido LTE and full compatibility for WCDMA (B2 and B5 for fido).

However, the device's GSM bands do not include B5, which Fido uses. (Device band lists attached as photo)

My question is, can I use this device to make voice calls? Since it is not compatible with Fido GSM, and it is likely not gonna work with Fido VoLTE, will it be data-only for this device?

Or, does Fido support voice calls over 3G(WCDMA)? If so, my device may be used to make phone calls.

Looking forward to seeing a solution, thank you in advance and I wish you a good day!

Attachment: band lists for that device

S10530-10241444(1).png

Accepted Solution

Re: Are voice calls transmitted on both WCDMA and GSM?

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Gnayezux,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note that Rogers is in the process of decommissioning the GSM network (see here). While there have been a few delays to the timeline noted in that post, I would expect the full GSM sunset to occur in the near future. You can view the updated compatible bands/frequencies, here. So that device would have one compatible '3G' band/frequency and possibly two compatible LTE bands/frequencies. While the phone should be able to access the LTE network, coverage would depend on corresponding bands/frequencies used at your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area towers here.

With the exception of voLTE, voice calls are transmitted via the 2G and/or '3G' networks. So, yes, voice calls do transmit via WCDMA (UMTS) networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Gnayezux,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note that Rogers is in the process of decommissioning the GSM network (see here). While there have been a few delays to the timeline noted in that post, I would expect the full GSM sunset to occur in the near future. You can view the updated compatible bands/frequencies, here. So that device would have one compatible '3G' band/frequency and possibly two compatible LTE bands/frequencies. While the phone should be able to access the LTE network, coverage would depend on corresponding bands/frequencies used at your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area towers here.

With the exception of voLTE, voice calls are transmitted via the 2G and/or '3G' networks. So, yes, voice calls do transmit via WCDMA (UMTS) networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers