Allow IMS Services (VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling) on Non-Fido Devices

I'm a Participant Level 3 amy91
I'm a Participant Level 3

Allow IMS Services (VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling) on Non-Fido Devices

Hi,

So I've been with Fido since Summer of 2019 and I realized I had call reception troubles recently. With advice from a a colleague, I tried enabling Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE but was shocked to find Fido doesn't support unlocked devices if not purchased through them.

Have tried every setting on my phone including resetting my phone thrice with different CSC's (FMC for Fido, XAC for Unbranded Canada) but no luck. I have been on phone for over 3 hours with customer support level 1, level 2 and a technical manager but they won't budge.

I'm sick and tired of hearing, 'Oh Sir! You have a non-Fido device' as if I am using a stolen phone to use their service. I have factory/manufacturer unlocked Note 8 and Note 9 and none of them can get VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling because Fido think it's not in their best interest and these future technologies that only Fido devices can play around with.

Fido/Rogers, this is frustrating and a real shame that a device upwards of $800 isn't able to utilize it's full feature set despite manufacturing embedding the technology on the device. My phone is indistinguishable to a Fido purchased phone and yet you have the balls to play politics on who gets what.

Your FAQ page, that a customer visits first before calling customer care on 611, clearly states the devices and pertinent info

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/wifi-calling

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Support/VoLTE-Everything-you-need-to-know/ta-p/129331

I'll making the switch to another operator.

This has been ongoing for years and moderators in those posts have shared they are looking into this and working towards a solution for benefit of all but it's been years now. Rogers/Fido needs to get its **bleep** together.

Older similar posts here -

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and-Devices/Non-Fido-purchased-Pixel-2-WiFi-Calling-and-VoLTE-worka...

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Support/IMS-registration-status-not-registered/m-p/141557

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and-Devices/Fido-block-VoLTE-and-Wifi-Calling-by-blacklisting-IMEI/...

Accepted Solution

Re: Allow IMS Services (VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling) on Non-Fido Devices

So, I finally have good news!!!

After over 4 hours of back and fro calling, Fido activated VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling for my device.

I would like to reiterate once again, my device i.e. Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is a Non-Fido Device and a Non-Canadian too and yet I was able to get these services activated. Next time, you come across a support rep telling you BS that it cannot be done, show this post and put them to shame for slacking and inadequate knowledge of their systems.

I purchased this device in 2017 from USA and have used these features before with T-Mobile there.

How can you achieve this?

Call 611 or Fido support --> Start a case --> Get transferred to Rogers Technical Support based in Toronto --> Ask to speak to a Tier 2 support member --> Explain the problem in detail at this point (very important) --> Ask him to add your IMEI number to your Fido account first of all --> Then proceed by saying, they work with Provisioning Team or a higher team to enable these services even if they may not work.

Services will be activated from backend and you'll be asked to restart your phone. This generally takes 10-15 minutes at their backend and you may need to restart 3-4 times to actually see results.

What does Fido actually do when you request this

1. Add your phone's IMEI to the Fido account
  2. Perform a network switch refresh/reset for your account
  3. Change signalling from LTE to VoLTE (not really sure about this, but support rep said this much only)
  4. A higher technical team does same configuration change manually (Most important)

They will not disclose exact information but this is what I was able to. Good luck, YMMV!

Below are some screenshots (with captions) confirming this. In case, below images get deleted/inaccessible in future, here's an alternate link --> https://imgur.com/a/0wVkaho

Screenshot_20191114-125020_IMS Settings.jpgBefore Fido made VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling changes at their backend

Screenshot_20191114-131617_IMS Settings.jpgAfter Fido made changes at their backendScreenshot_20191114-132023_Wi-Fi Calling.jpgWi-Fi Calling is enabled and settings availableScreenshot_20191114-132018_Wi-Fi Calling.jpgYou can add/edit your e911 address on this page, accessible from Wi-Fi caling settings pageScreenshot_20191114-131914_IMS Settings.jpgRWC VoLTE profile settingsScreenshot_20191114-133325_IMS Settings.jpgRWC RCS profile settingsScreenshot_20191114-133554_Call.jpgScreenshot showing Video Over IP callingScreenshot_20191114-132110_Settings.jpgMy device information (Canadian FW flashed)

Screenshot_20191114-225909_Phone.jpgScreenshot showing Wi-Fi calling active signal in top right corner

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

Hello @amy91,

Currently, their support policy on the non-Fido device hasn't changed it's frustrating believe me I know. Did you try the workaround mentioned in one of the posts you mentioned? I've also heard some people had success after getting Fido to add the IMEI number to the account. 

Hopefully, they change this soon because I know at least one other provider did announce they will support these features on eligible phones that were not purchased from them. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
MVP
MVP

Hello Amy91,

Welcome to the community!

Do you have the Canadian version of those phones? Apparently, as of May 2019, Fido has started to support those services on certain grey market devices, Galaxy S8 and newer (see here). This community member was able to get those services on their grey market Galaxy S9 (see here).

If your devices are not the Canadian version of the phones, it possible that they still won't be supported.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

Maybe Fido should update their site to reflect these changes here and here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2 danthemanx
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Hi @amy91 ,

Trust me I and a lot of others were in the same boat.

However, I recently got mine to work but it has to be done on the backend side. They will fix your configuration on THEIR side.

Make sure your CSC is set to FMC, that's all you can do on your side. @FidoClaudia was the one who set up a ticket with Tech support and they kept getting back to me over the phone until it was finally resolved (for the first time ever on this phone) and they said it was a config setup issue.

S8 and above (regardless of where you purchased it) should get VoLTE and Wifi calling as of May of this year. So just get a ticket filed with tech support.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7

Hi @FidoClaudia 

Can I please request your attention to this matter. I have been trying to get this to work from past one week and have been on phone for over 3 hours now but Fido seems clueless as to how get this done.

I have spoken to Technical Manager named Cyrille last week and he promised to provide me an update in next 48-72 hours but it's been 6 days now. I really want Fido to make this work or else I'll be forced to make a switch soon.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Solution

So, I finally have good news!!!

After over 4 hours of back and fro calling, Fido activated VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling for my device.

I would like to reiterate once again, my device i.e. Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is a Non-Fido Device and a Non-Canadian too and yet I was able to get these services activated. Next time, you come across a support rep telling you BS that it cannot be done, show this post and put them to shame for slacking and inadequate knowledge of their systems.

I purchased this device in 2017 from USA and have used these features before with T-Mobile there.

How can you achieve this?

Call 611 or Fido support --> Start a case --> Get transferred to Rogers Technical Support based in Toronto --> Ask to speak to a Tier 2 support member --> Explain the problem in detail at this point (very important) --> Ask him to add your IMEI number to your Fido account first of all --> Then proceed by saying, they work with Provisioning Team or a higher team to enable these services even if they may not work.

Services will be activated from backend and you'll be asked to restart your phone. This generally takes 10-15 minutes at their backend and you may need to restart 3-4 times to actually see results.

What does Fido actually do when you request this

1. Add your phone's IMEI to the Fido account
  2. Perform a network switch refresh/reset for your account
  3. Change signalling from LTE to VoLTE (not really sure about this, but support rep said this much only)
  4. A higher technical team does same configuration change manually (Most important)

They will not disclose exact information but this is what I was able to. Good luck, YMMV!

Below are some screenshots (with captions) confirming this. In case, below images get deleted/inaccessible in future, here's an alternate link --> https://imgur.com/a/0wVkaho

Screenshot_20191114-125020_IMS Settings.jpgBefore Fido made VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling changes at their backend

Screenshot_20191114-131617_IMS Settings.jpgAfter Fido made changes at their backendScreenshot_20191114-132023_Wi-Fi Calling.jpgWi-Fi Calling is enabled and settings availableScreenshot_20191114-132018_Wi-Fi Calling.jpgYou can add/edit your e911 address on this page, accessible from Wi-Fi caling settings pageScreenshot_20191114-131914_IMS Settings.jpgRWC VoLTE profile settingsScreenshot_20191114-133325_IMS Settings.jpgRWC RCS profile settingsScreenshot_20191114-133554_Call.jpgScreenshot showing Video Over IP callingScreenshot_20191114-132110_Settings.jpgMy device information (Canadian FW flashed)

Screenshot_20191114-225909_Phone.jpgScreenshot showing Wi-Fi calling active signal in top right corner

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7