new phone when renewing $15/month plan

I'm a Contributor Level 1 gmg74
I'm a Contributor Level 1

new phone when renewing $15/month plan

Hi,

My current contract, for $15/month plan, is due to expire in Feb, 2014.  When I renew the contract for the same plan, which phones will be available to me?  According to the Fido website, all phones now require a Smart plan or Standard plan, and I`m not sure the $15/month plan is either Smart or Standard.

cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: new phone when renewing $15/month plan

Your plan is neither Standard nor a Smart plan. It was offered before Fido differentiated between plan categories (i.e. Standard/Smart/Max). I am willing to bet that you are unfortunately unable to get any of Fido's current phones at their 'contract' price with your $15 plan. You can absolutely buy any of Fido's outright at full retrail cost, but as for getting your handset's price reduced through a tab 24/36 agreement, you are stuck. However, I would recommend calling Fido's customer support line and inquring about your situation because I recently learned about special offerings Fido has for existing customers regarding grandfathered plans. You could also negotiate a recurring monthly credit to your bill when taking a new contract with Fido in lou of not taking a discount on your handset price. Hope this helps Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3
Solution

Your plan is neither Standard nor a Smart plan. It was offered before Fido differentiated between plan categories (i.e. Standard/Smart/Max). I am willing to bet that you are unfortunately unable to get any of Fido's current phones at their 'contract' price with your $15 plan. You can absolutely buy any of Fido's outright at full retrail cost, but as for getting your handset's price reduced through a tab 24/36 agreement, you are stuck. However, I would recommend calling Fido's customer support line and inquring about your situation because I recently learned about special offerings Fido has for existing customers regarding grandfathered plans. You could also negotiate a recurring monthly credit to your bill when taking a new contract with Fido in lou of not taking a discount on your handset price. Hope this helps Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Fido Employee FidoLoren
Fido Employee

Hi gmg74,

With double the minutes and data, it can be very tempting to change to a new plan right now. But you can also renew your old grandfathered $15 plan if that is more your style.

While shopping on Fido.ca, look for select phones "with 2-year Tab24 agreement on a Standard plan". This not an exhaustive list of phones you can get. As you can see these smartphones pack a lot of features at a tiny price:

- Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini, $80 with 2-year Tab24 agreement on a Standard plan

- HTC Desire, $50 with 2-year Tab24 agreement on a Standard plan

- Samsung AceIIx, $0 with 2-year Tab24 agreement on a Standard plan

Hurry in to one of our stores for these and other great offers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3