iPhone 7 or 8 - No Small Plan Discount

Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

iPhone 7 or 8 - No Small Plan Discount

Hello, I have a monthly plan which is considered "Small" for device subsidy. Currently, If I chose to upgrade to an iPhone 7 or iPhone 8, my Small subsidy device pricing would be exactly the same as no term. Therefore, I have no incentive to sign a 2-year agreement with Fido. Is this in error or can some please explain why I don't get at least $100-200 off an iPhone 7 or 8 if I take a 2-year agreement with a Small plan. Doesn't make much sense.

iPhone 7, 32GB

• Small plan: $759
  • No term: $759

iPhone 8, 64GB

• Small plan: $929
  • No term: $929
Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone 7 or 8 - No Small Plan Discount

Hey @nick67,

Sorry if the website created any confusion when it comes to the prices of those phones!

I would like to clarify that you would only be under a 2 year agreement if there was subsidy given on the phone.

Since there would be no benefit to taking an agreement for those devices with a Small plan (ie. a subsidy), you wouldn't need to, or be required to, take a contract when purchasing that device on a Small plan.

It would be considered the same as purchasing the device on a BYOP plan because a subsidy is not offered with that tier.

While we do offer subsidies on most of our devices with a Small plan category, it's not something that we currently offer for the models you mentioned. Certain models only receive a subsidy with a Medium plan or higher, therefore they are at full price with a Small plan.  

I definitely understand if you wish to keep the same plan though. To help lower the upfront cost of the phone in that case, you can take advantage of our FidoTRADE program in one of our stores and get an instant credit towards the purchase of a new phone in exchange for a used phone from any carrier! You can get a quote for the value of your device and learn more by visiting fido.ca/fidotradequote.

If you'd like to check out the available plan options from the Medium or Large categories, don't hesitate to reply to our PM and we'll gladly check it out with you Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

I also want to add I noticed this price discrepancy is only on iPhones. For example, the brand new Samsung S9 is $739 on a Small plan and $1019 no term. I want to continue buying iPhones, but at this point my Small plan is worthless on iPhones.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted

Hey @nick67 and thanks for reaching out.

I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Device subsidry is an incorrect term as you have to "pay off" the remaining balance that was added to your monthly bill.  For example, you pay an additional $10 for small, $15 for Medium, $30 for large, and $40 for XL on your monthly bill to pay . Multiply it by $24, you can pay upwards from $240.00 to $960.00 on top of what you have already paid for your phone when you signed up for the 2 year contract.

With iphone, I always suggest people to buy the phone outright and go with a BYOP (bring your own phone) plan.  You will save money in the long run.  Iphones, does not get manufacturer incentives for discounts unlike LG or Huawei phones. With that, you pay the same amount of $ for your phone when you sign up for 2 year contract compared to buying it out right from start. (Remember, total cost of phone = $ you pay up front and $ you pay on top of your monthly plan to "pay off" your phone.) The best part is that you are not "locked" into a contract with the carrier.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

If you go to Fido.ca right now and pick the iPhone 7 for example. Compare the handset price if you pick a SMALL plan ($759) and then NO TERM ($759). Why is the Small plan and no term price the exact same? Why would anyone take a 2 year term and pay $10 more a month for the small plan, this makes no sense. Fido needs to correct its pricing for the iPhone 7, 8, and up... See the screenshots below to illustrate my point.

FidoiPhone7PricingSmall1.png

vs.

FidoiPhone7PricingNoTerm1.png

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Solution

Hey @nick67,

Sorry if the website created any confusion when it comes to the prices of those phones!

I would like to clarify that you would only be under a 2 year agreement if there was subsidy given on the phone.

Since there would be no benefit to taking an agreement for those devices with a Small plan (ie. a subsidy), you wouldn't need to, or be required to, take a contract when purchasing that device on a Small plan.

It would be considered the same as purchasing the device on a BYOP plan because a subsidy is not offered with that tier.

While we do offer subsidies on most of our devices with a Small plan category, it's not something that we currently offer for the models you mentioned. Certain models only receive a subsidy with a Medium plan or higher, therefore they are at full price with a Small plan.  

I definitely understand if you wish to keep the same plan though. To help lower the upfront cost of the phone in that case, you can take advantage of our FidoTRADE program in one of our stores and get an instant credit towards the purchase of a new phone in exchange for a used phone from any carrier! You can get a quote for the value of your device and learn more by visiting fido.ca/fidotradequote.

If you'd like to check out the available plan options from the Medium or Large categories, don't hesitate to reply to our PM and we'll gladly check it out with you Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Thank you @FidoClaudia and @FidoKenny for reaching out and clarifying the pricing discrepancy. Appreciate it! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7