cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot send texts (card 1, error 38) but only to one contact

being_meh
I'm a Participant Level 2

i keep getting the card 1 error 38 message when trying to send a text to one of my contacts.  i can send and receive texts to/from other contacts, just not this one.  anyone know what that means / what's going on?  thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Little_School
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

I've been having this problem recently with multiple contacts.(all of them Rogers subscribers)

One thing I've done that seems to have solved the problem is shortening my messages. I used to send pretty long SMS, and the message would freeze, get error code 38. Since I started reducing my messages to under 115 characters, they all seem to send now.

That's great to hear @Little_School  that you solved an issue that some people are having, including yourself. I wonder if the setting in messenger stay on SMS when it's a shorter message and changes to mms if it is over a certain character count? I'll keep this in mind if it happens to me again. 

Cheers 

Hello Original_Lucy,

To answer your pondering, the messaging app does determine whether messages get sent as SMS or long-SMS or MMS. However, the number of characters can vary depending on the character set used. I have previously posted a more detailed explanation here. This post illustrates how the messaging apps can inform us how many SMS would get sent per message. If a message exceeds the maximum number of SMS for long-SMS, the messaging app will switch to MMS (Kbs; not shown).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

I love the Priv BTW

Good morning being_meh, this has happened to me a few times. And usually to only one number, I don't know why.
Here's what I did to resolve it. I went into settings and force stopped my messaging apps. I had 3 apps for texting on my phone, the residents app with my Samsung device, Google messages and Textra.

I then uninstalled Textra and Google messages and emptied the cache. Did a restart and tried using the default messaging. It worked. I put Google messages back and tried that, it worked and then Textra, that one seemed to not enjoy sharing space with the other two. As much as I like Textra I have gone back to using Google messages. It seems to be the most reliable. When it happens every once in a while,  it's usually from a poor signal. 🤞fingers crossed that helps you. Cheers

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Does rebooting your phone change anything? 

If you do not have a phone you can test your SIM card in, your best bet would be to pass by a Fido store to test your SIM card in a demo phone.

FidoKenny

Hello @being_meh and welcome to the Community.

This doesn't look right. Just a few questions for you to better understand what's going on:

- What phone model are you using?

- Do you have another phone that you can try your sim card in to see if you get the same result?

being_meh

i have a blackberry priv.  i do not have another phone to try.

(the issue is still happening today.)