cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the fee for leaving Fido and taking my number with me?

martinrking
I'm a participant level 2

What is the fee for leaving Fido and taking my number with me? I am not under contract.

8 REPLIES 8

yvonne111
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am not under any contract and Fido asked me to pay the charges as of the porting out the services. 

FidoCatherine
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi there Martinrking, 

although much time has passed since the original post, I wanted to add a few details for informational purposes Happy

Customers without a contract/Tab can cancel their services at any time, without any cancellation fee. 

The 30 day notice is also no longer required - Fido can cancel your services on the same day you place such request. (Customers with ongoing agreements which began prior to December 2013 may still be required to provide a 30 day notice)

I hope this information could be useful for someone, somewhere out there Happy

Hey everyone! 

Although this thread is old, I wanted to update the info. 

There are no cancellation fees if you are on a month to month basis without any contract. This applies whether you cancel or port out your number. 

We no longer require any 30 day notice. 

If you have an agreement and cancel/port out you will be charged the remaining subsidy you received on your phone when you upgraded. 

Hope that helps! 

VTR1

Thanks for the details. I was offered a iPhone X max  by Fido representative for $5. Today I moved my plan to rogers and got a bill to pay the remaining balance for the phone. 

the representative who sold the phone didn't explain clearly and all he said to pay $5 per month.

Based on agent misrepresentation of information I'm being penalized to pay the remaining balance of $850 for I phone x max.

now, can I move back to Fido under the same contract to avoid that device fees? Or because due to the false  representation will the Fido waive off that fees?

how can we approach this situation?

martinrking

I was under the impression that if I wanted to move my number from one provider to another, I would have to pay a fee. Is this not the case? 

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@martinrking wrote:

I was under the impression that if I wanted to move my number from one provider to another, I would have to pay a fee. Is this not the case? 

There is no fee for porting out of a carrier. Some providers may charge a fee for porting your number in, but Fido will not charge you a fee for porting out (I don't think they are even allowed to). The only fees will be those associated with your contract (which you don't have) and the terms of service (which you do have), so ECF and last 30 days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never heard of a fee for portnig out either

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

If you aren't under any contract then there should be no fee for canceling. They may want to charge you for 30 days after you port, which is a requirement in your terms of service with them. The unfortunate part is that they will not allow you to give 30 days notice so they will almost always charge you for 30 days with no service.

The best way to avoid this is to call in 30 days ahead of time and notify them that you will be leaving. Be very sure to insist that they do not take that as a request to cancel that day and insist that they do not lock you account. If they lock your number you will be unable to port. Ask them to simply place a note in your account with the date and an explaination that you will be leaving in 30 days. Then after a month, when you complete the port, check you last invoice. If they bill you for time after you ported, then contact customer service and have them refund the charges, as per their own TOS.