WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

I'm a Participant Level 2 KoreyB
I'm a Participant Level 2

WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

Hi There,

I'm just wondering if there is any update to the ability to get Wi-fi calling on unlocked and devices purchased directly from Samsung.   I have just purchased a S10+ from Samsung directly, but it seems although it's able to do Wi-fi Calling, the system is saying it's not compatible (likely due to the fact the IMEI shows I didn't buy from FIDO directly).

My friend who is with another provider also bought a 10+ direct from Samsung and has no issue activating her's with her provider.

As long as the model is compatible, it should be made available no matter where the device has been purchased.

Is there any plans to correct this oversight to better serve customers as a whole, especially at this point when it's become a standard item for all providers.   

Accepted Solution

Re: WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

Hey everyone!

We received confirmation from our technical team that wifi calling on the S10 and S10+ should now be working!  You just need to reboot your phone and activate wifi calling in your settings.

Thanks for your patience Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 35
I'm a Participant Level 3 patrickacosta93
I'm a Participant Level 3

Sure, I can go through it as detailed as I can. 

For your first question I have an Samsung S10+ (Android OS, btw this is a forum for Samsung s10+...)

Question 2:

When I follow the steps for activating Fido's WiFi Calling, I am only able to get to step 5 ie. entering verification code. 

After entering my code in step 5, I receive a message that says this:

"We are unable to process your request at this time. Please contact customer support 1-888-764-3771."

I've contacted this number (which is Rogers customer service) and they've told me that the phone that I bought from Bestbuy is NOT a registered Rogers/Fido phone. They've double checked that they have the correct IMEI and they do. However it still does not display that it is a Rogers/Fido phone. I've checked with Samsung to make sure that it is and they confirmed that it is 100% a Rogers/Fido phone. I've spoken with Fido plenty of times and they've tried to reset some issues on their end and I've also done some factory restores and still the same issue occurs. Hopefully this answers your question. I know for sure that this is a Fido's issue because I have a friend that had bought their phone with another provider from BestBuy, yet their WiFi calling worked immediately without even calling the provider to activate it. Please if there is any support in helping me with this issue and getting it resolved I'd be greatly appreciated.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 35

Hello @patrickacosta93

I would like to take a look at your account to see what was done so far.

I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 35
I'm a Participant Level 3 amy91

No matter what Fido says, a non-Fido/non-Canadian device is as good as a Fido device.

I was able to activate VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 today. The steps are same for every other model out there and my post is a proof that the burden of activating this lies with Fido and not customer.

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and-Devices/Allow-IMS-Services-VoLTE-and-Wi-Fi-Calling-on-Non-Fido-...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 33 of 35
I'm a Participant Level 3 patrickacosta93

Hi everyone,

Just an update on this. I just recently tested wifi calling and all of a sudden it is working now! Don't know what happened... Maybe Fido fixed what they had to do internally.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 34 of 35
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Patrickacosta93,

That's great to hear!! Fido recently allowed the service on certain grey market devices including Samsung phones newer than the Galaxy S8.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 35 of 35