WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

I'm a Participant Level 2 KoreyB
I'm a Participant Level 2

WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

Hi There,

I'm just wondering if there is any update to the ability to get Wi-fi calling on unlocked and devices purchased directly from Samsung.   I have just purchased a S10+ from Samsung directly, but it seems although it's able to do Wi-fi Calling, the system is saying it's not compatible (likely due to the fact the IMEI shows I didn't buy from FIDO directly).

My friend who is with another provider also bought a 10+ direct from Samsung and has no issue activating her's with her provider.

As long as the model is compatible, it should be made available no matter where the device has been purchased.

Is there any plans to correct this oversight to better serve customers as a whole, especially at this point when it's become a standard item for all providers.   

Accepted Solution

Re: WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

Hey everyone!

We received confirmation from our technical team that wifi calling on the S10 and S10+ should now be working!  You just need to reboot your phone and activate wifi calling in your settings.

Thanks for your patience Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 32
I'm a Participant Level 2 Ken888

@stellababe wrote:

It's a bit on and off for me as well if I turn off WiFi calling for half a day and turn it back on at another place, but restarting the phone fixes it for me.

same here! It's working fine in my office but when I back home it doesn't work.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 32
I'm a Participant Level 2 Ken888

As of now, still not working

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 32
I'm a Contributor Level 1 stellababe
I'm a Contributor Level 1

@KoreyB wrote:

Hi There,

I'm just wondering if there is any update to the ability to get Wi-fi calling on unlocked and devices purchased directly from Samsung.   I have just purchased a S10+ from Samsung directly, but it seems although it's able to do Wi-fi Calling, the system is saying it's not compatible (likely due to the fact the IMEI shows I didn't buy from FIDO directly).

My friend who is with another provider also bought a 10+ direct from Samsung and has no issue activating her's with her provider.

As long as the model is compatible, it should be made available no matter where the device has been purchased.

Is there any plans to correct this oversight to better serve customers as a whole, especially at this point when it's become a standard item for all providers.   

Korey, I completely agree with you that WiFi calling should not be tied to carrier-sold phones. I think the only way to stop this is by petitioning CRTC to create a law, just like how people stopped SIM locking.

Anyways, I got my S10 from a BestBuy store in BC, but I made sure the sales rep ordered from Rogers/Fido inventory. He told me something about Samsung stores order phones from the same distributor BestBuy orders from, so it is possible to ask your Samsung store to specificcally order in an unlocked Rogers/Fido device for you.

Nowadays, all phones come unlocked anyways. Getting from the Rogers/Fido inventory simply means your phone will already be in their IMEI white-list for WiFi-calling.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 32
I'm a Contributor Level 1 stellababe

@Ken888 wrote:

As of now, still not working

Have you tried hard restart (actually turning off the phone, which will wipe memory) and soft restart (clicking restart)? Also try re-registering your WiFi calling.

Also, is it showing you the option "Wi-Fi Preferred" and "Cellular Network Preferred"? If that is not showing, then you should contact Tech Support, because that would be same as my initial problem.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 32

Hey @Ken888

Did it end up working on your end? Let the Community know Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 32
MVP
MVP

Hello @KoreyB,

Were you able to get Wifi-calling and/or voLTE to work on your phone you purchased directly from Samsung Canada, now that Fido has enabled those services on the S10 series?

I'm glad to hear @stellababe was able to get those services to work on her phone from Best Buy. However, I don't plan on subsidising my phone and could not find any listings for outright purchases from Best Buy.

The employees at Samsung Canada assure me that those services should work on Fido when purchased directly from them. However, I'm not sure if they actually know they'll work or they're just trying to make a sale. I guess Samsung Canada has confirmed that they also have the 15 day guarantee so I could test it to see if it works.

I'm sorry Fido. I initially planned to purchase the phone direct from Fido, but I'm not paying an additional $200 because of some arbitrary cost structure when purchasing outright. It's one thing to have to pay more for subsidising a device; it's completely different when the device is purchased in full outright. It should be MSRP or else people will just purchase from elsewhere.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 32
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Wickkedd

I wanted to make it a point that I am leaving Fido today and porting out my number because of this practice. I've waited for a year hoping they would change their policy. Fido / Rogers is following unethical business practice. Their agents say that "they cannot guarantee that these features will work." In fact, they should say, "we guarantee these features WILL NOT work, because we've intentionally blocked them on non-fido devices." They offer to send a PM, and once you start communicating, in the end it all boils down to them refusing to add the IMEI of the device so these services can be provisioned. They are INTENTIONALLY blocked.

I thought I'll post over here before I port out, as my account will become disabled. I hope more people do the same to teach this company a lesson about not lying to their customers and call a spade a spade and say that they INTENTIONALLY block devices from using these features.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 32
I'm a Participant Level 3 celavakosa
I'm a Participant Level 3

Not happy about what i am reading as i just ordered unlocked phone from Costco.
Honestly, if this is the case, and if i am unable to use these features for this reason i will have to consider as well looking for different provider.

Love Fido, like the plan i have, but, luckily there are other options for the same amount of money i am paying to Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 32

Just got my phone delivered, in process of setting it up.

Wifi calling doesn't work out.

Question  now is, should i bother with Fido support about this or simply look for another provider?

Thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 32

After factory reset , appears that both wifi / volte work.

I will keep an eye on this for the next couple of days.

I truly hope it stays working.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 32

Thank you for the update. 

Please keep the Community posted. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 32
I'm a Participant Level 2 patrickacosta93

Hello all,

I also have an issue with my WiFi calling set up. My phone is 100% a Rogers/Fido phone according to the places I've gone to. I've bought the phone over at BestBuy and have them make sure that it is the a Rogers/Fido phone, and I've also gone to Samsung to reassure me it is as well. When I tried to set up WiFi calling, it takes me to a page after entering a code saying it's unable to connect and that I have to call the Rogers customer service line. Once contacted, they tell me that my phone is not registered. Fido is the only provider I have issues with for WiFi Calling. It is really bothering when they are the only one that blocks certain features. It's too bad I've locked into a contract and have to bite the bullet of this one. I hope in the future Fido will learn from it's mistake and repair this issue. I've been a long time Fido customer but there's always a reason to try others.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 32

Hello @patrickacosta93!

Can you clarify what exactly happened when you called technical support please? Are you saying they told you the the device was not a Fido/Rogers phone?

Let us know, thanks!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 32
I'm a Participant Level 2 patrickacosta93

Hi Philippe,

I've contacted Fido to activate WiFi Calling on my phone but they told me that my IMEI from my phone is not a Fido/Rogers phone when I bought it from Bestbuy. I went back to BestBuy and they told me it is 100% a Fido/Rogers phone and same with Samsung. When I purchased at Bestbuy, they had spoke to their Fido rep because in order for me to get a Fido/Rogers phone they had to make sure they are selling one that was from them. I hope that I made myself clear and that Fido will be able to just let anyone use WiFi Calling.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 32

Thank you very much for the clarification.

It can sometimes happen that an eligible phone might encounter a situation with Wi-Fi Calling. To narrow down a bit the issue, could you answer these questions: 

What phone do you have? (Android OS or iPhone?)

Are you getting a specific error message when you either activate the Wi-Fi Calling option or when you try to use it? If so, could you share it with the Community? 

Also, as part of the troubleshooting steps you took when you contacted us, did you make sure that Wi-Fi calling was enabled? Did we reset the connexion on our end as well? 

Did you talk to customer service or technical support when you contacted us? Did you give the rep the IMEI of your phone in order for us to look if your phone is in our database? It might be necessary to open a technical ticket with our tech team to enable your IMEI. 

Keep us posted!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 32