WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

I'm a Participant Level 2 KoreyB
I'm a Participant Level 2

WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

Hi There,

I'm just wondering if there is any update to the ability to get Wi-fi calling on unlocked and devices purchased directly from Samsung.   I have just purchased a S10+ from Samsung directly, but it seems although it's able to do Wi-fi Calling, the system is saying it's not compatible (likely due to the fact the IMEI shows I didn't buy from FIDO directly).

My friend who is with another provider also bought a 10+ direct from Samsung and has no issue activating her's with her provider.

As long as the model is compatible, it should be made available no matter where the device has been purchased.

Is there any plans to correct this oversight to better serve customers as a whole, especially at this point when it's become a standard item for all providers.   

Accepted Solution

Re: WIFI CALLING FOR SAMSUNG S10+

Hey everyone!

We received confirmation from our technical team that wifi calling on the S10 and S10+ should now be working!  You just need to reboot your phone and activate wifi calling in your settings.

Thanks for your patience Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 23
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Wickkedd
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Was the first SIM you inserted into your phone a fido sim? Also, when you try to enable wifi calling, does it ask you to register your address and all? If all that happens, then I'm afraid FIDO is still not allowing non-fido IMEI numbers for their wifi calling, and this is intentional.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 23
MVP
MVP

Hello KoreyB,

I'm hoping it's because Fido hasn't yet enabled Wifi-calling and/or voLTE for any of the Samsung Galaxy S10s. When the S9s were released, it was a little while before they were able to use those sevices -- even for those sold by Fido. That said, there does still appear to be someone who was not able to get those services with their non-Fido S9+.

Fingers crossed you'll be able to use those features with your phone when they do get enabled for the S10s. I'm also considering purchasing my phone from Samsung Canada. There is absolutely no reason why Fido needs to mark up the outright cost for the devices. There should not be any additional cost structure for the outright purchase of a device.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 23
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

hi

i did the samething as u in 2018 spring.

step 1, after i got the s8+ and sold it, then purchased the s9+ at the samsung experience store in west edmonton mall. i got the unlocked, stock samsung version

step 2, i placed by fido sim (2015 version), into s9+, wifi calling no good, Voice over LTE (VoLTE) no good

step 3, i reset my s9+, no good, (reset to Fido CSC settings and global CSC settings)

Step 4, i talked to fido store in west edmonton mall across the pirate ship, they blamed on samsung

step 5, i went to samsung store in west edmonton mall talked to tech speicalist (no knowledge person), samsung person blamed fido

step 6, i went back to fido store west edmonton mall across the pirate ship, talked to Chinese sales guy named Ming (this dude was good), he got be replacement simcard (2018 version), and check/reset my apn settings, and it worked.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 23
I'm a Participant Level 2 KoreyB

First Sim installed was a FIDO sim...  I agree that this is likely due to a decision by Fido, but I was hoping some news would have happened on the issue and to echo the point that this is still a problem. 

I get as far in the setup as the text code they send.  Once you enter this code, It instantly tells me my phone is not compatible for the service.

I seems that IMEI's from phones that are not purchased from Fido seems to be BLOCKED from this feature.   voLTE I can live without to be honest but, I think Wi-fi calling that fills in holes, especially in basements, and other places where cell signals don't go, seems like it should be a no-brainer to provide to all people with "models" that are compatible/able to use the service regardless of where it happened to be purchased. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 23
I'm a Contributor Level 1 stellababe

I cannot seem to enable my WiFi calling on my S10 ( 128GB ).

I just got my S10 (Rogers/Fido) through Best Buy yesterday. I confirmed with Fido support that my IMEI is on their list. Fido tech support helped me erased my wifi-calling registration, and let me re-register on my new S10, but it still does not work.

My problem is, when I turn on Wifi calling, it pops up a page to enter my mobile number, and then a SMS confirmation code, and then my emergency address, and then it goes back to Wifi calling setting page showing "Requesting serivce. Please wait..." Then after a couple minutes, the message disappears and it loops back to entering mobile number...

You may be right. If everyone else is also having problem using Wifi-calling on their S10/10+, Fido must have not enabled it on these devices yet.

We have 15 days to refund/exchange the phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 23

Hi,

Anybody else experiencing Wifi-calling issue with the new S10/S10+?

Before getting my S10, I had a Galaxy S7. That had no problem with enabling Wifi Calling.

Right now, when I turn on my Wifi calling, it keeps looping me back to the "enter your mobile number" page, and cannot be turned on.

1.jpg1. Turning on Wifi Calling leads to this page opening.2.jpg2. Just following the steps.3.jpg3. Entering 911 address4.jpg4. Gets stuck here for a few minutes. Then message disappears. Wifi Calling still disabled.

What I have tried:

* Factory reset

* Fido tech support helped me reset my Wifi calling registration

* Fido support confirmed my IMEI is in Fido database

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 23

Hey everyone! 

Congrats on your new phones Smiley 

@KoreyB, your compatible device must have been purchased from Fido. If you have a non-Fido device and no conflicting services, Wi-Fi Calling may work, but we can’t assure that the feature will work properly.

For those of you who have purchased the device from Fido, we would need to troubleshoot in order to see why you're unable to use it. 

To do so, we would need access to your accounts. 

Feel free to reach out to us here

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 23

Hey @stellababe!

We've moved your post to this thread, as it discusses the same topic.

Thanks for contributing. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 23

Hello @COMMUNITY

We are aware of this issue and our support team is working on a fix as we speak.

The fix will be pushed over the air soon.

When we get more news, we will update everyone on this thread.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 23
Highlighted

@FidoKenny wrote:

Hello @COMMUNITY

We are aware of this issue and our support team is working on a fix as we speak.

The fix will be pushed over the air soon.

When we get more news, we will update everyone on this thread.

Thank you, Kenny.

I confirm this.

Last night, tech support told me this is currently an issue due to Fido's server incorrectly routing Wifi-calling registration to their VoLTE registration on new S10 and S10+. They are working on a fix, but this is an issue for "many" new S10/S10+ they sold, but apparently not "all". Only a "major portion" of devices are affected. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 23

I am glad to report my issue has been resolved. Fido tech support texted me saying they have closed my case. After a reboot and re-registration, my Wifi Calling is now working.

Go ahead and give them a call if yours is still not working. 

Cheers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 23
Solution

Hey everyone!

We received confirmation from our technical team that wifi calling on the S10 and S10+ should now be working!  You just need to reboot your phone and activate wifi calling in your settings.

Thanks for your patience Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 23
I'm a Participant Level 2 Ken888

It was working fine this morning. But doesn't work again

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 23

It's a bit on and off for me as well if I turn off WiFi calling for half a day and turn it back on at another place, but restarting the phone fixes it for me.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 23