cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading a phone

Pbilo
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm trying to upgrade my phone and I don't know if I should pay a fee or not. And if the monthly payment of the upgrade will be added to my recent monthly plan. 

Also how does the monthly payment work? For example if you are to pay $55/month, is it the only charge every month no matter what?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Pbilo,

Welcome to the community!

What type of plan do you have? You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans. If you currently have an older plan, it may not be compatible with the new Payment Program and you might need to switch to a new plan.

With the new program, you will have a monthly fee for services (ie plan) as well as a monthly financing fee (ie phone). The monthly charge would be both of those fees added together. The different phones would vary in their upfront costs and monthly financing. Depending on the plan you choose, there may be additional charges for extra services used (ie long-distance calls, roaming, etc). Otherwise, your monthly charge should remain the plan fee plus the financing fee. Once your phone has been fully paid, you would only have the monthly plan fee (unless you choose to finance another device).

**edit** If you upgrade your phone yourself using Fido.ca, you can have the set-up fee waived. However, if customer service assists with the purchase (in store or via phone/online) you will likely be charged the set-up fee.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Mosi11
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

I believe Fido program is 24 month,
it’s monthly payment, price is vary, depends on which phone and which plan you want tochoose.