Unlocking my IPhone to go abroad

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Unlocking my IPhone to go abroad

I am planning to be travelling in and out of Canada for the next couple of months for work purposes. I Love my IPhone and want to take it with me. Because this is work related I am going to be provided a SIM for a provider within that country that supports IPhone - How can I unlock my IPhone?

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocking my IPhone to go abroad

@lenito wrote:

I am planning to be travelling in and out of Canada for the next couple of months for work purposes. I Love my IPhone and want to take it with me. Because this is work related I am going to be provided a SIM for a provider within that country that supports IPhone - How can I unlock my IPhone?

Hey guys! 

I know this is a pretty old post but I just saw this and thought I would provide some updated information in case anyone came across it. Smiley

If you have purchased a Fido device from us, you will be able to unlock it directly with Fido. 

-To unlock your device, your account must be in good standing and must satisfy one of the following criteria:

• If you received a rebate associated with a Fido agreement on your Fido device, that device must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.
  • If you personally purchased your device from Fido and did not receive any rebate on it, then it must be registered in your account.
  • If you purchased your device from a third party, it must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago. 

-A $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) applies. It will appear on your next invoice or will be deducted from your Prepaid balance.

- Unlocking your device via Fido will not void your manufacturer’s warranty.

- Only Fido devices can be unlocked by Fido. If you have an unlocked device from another carrier, see how to configure it to work with Fido.

- Unlocking your device will not terminate your Fido service or Fido Agreement, all aspects of your service remain unchanged.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

@lenito wrote:

You didn't mention what type of phone you have (3G,3GS,4). You might want to check out this PC World article which explains how to have your iPhone unlocked for free with detailed instructions.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/137223/how_to_unlock_an_iphone.html

The easier way might be to just have someone do it for you via online. There are many people who will provide this service for you online. Also, if your like me and live in Vancouver and have lots of small independant phone dealerships, they will usually do it for you for less than $50 if you just walk in and ask them.

If your looking online, just make sure your getting it done for the right model of iPhone. Google is a great place to find people who do it. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee
Solution

@lenito wrote:

Hey guys! 

I know this is a pretty old post but I just saw this and thought I would provide some updated information in case anyone came across it. Smiley

If you have purchased a Fido device from us, you will be able to unlock it directly with Fido. 

-To unlock your device, your account must be in good standing and must satisfy one of the following criteria:

• If you received a rebate associated with a Fido agreement on your Fido device, that device must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago.
  • If you personally purchased your device from Fido and did not receive any rebate on it, then it must be registered in your account.
  • If you purchased your device from a third party, it must have been registered in your account more than 90 days ago. 

-A $50 fee (plus applicable taxes) applies. It will appear on your next invoice or will be deducted from your Prepaid balance.

- Unlocking your device via Fido will not void your manufacturer’s warranty.

- Only Fido devices can be unlocked by Fido. If you have an unlocked device from another carrier, see how to configure it to work with Fido.

- Unlocking your device will not terminate your Fido service or Fido Agreement, all aspects of your service remain unchanged.

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3