Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send Picture message in an international number

SachinS
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi there,

I have a plan which includes "Text: Unlimited Text, Picture and Video Messages from Canada to U.S. & Intl Mobile Numbers". However, I am not able to send any picture message to international numbers.

Can someone help to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

15 REPLIES 15

FidoValeska
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @SachinS !

We haven't heard back! 

Were you able to get this resolved? 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello SachinS,

Welcome to the community!

Could you please clarify, are you able to send/receive picture messages (MMS) in Canada? Also, are you able to send text messages (SMS) to international numbers?

In addition, are you unable to send MMS (ie get error message) or do your recipients just not receive the pictures?

If you are not able to send SMS internationally, have you verified you're using the correct format? When texting international numbers, we must first include the International dialling prefix (IDP), followed by the Country calling code, followed by the phone number. The IDP is varies by country (see here). In Canada, the IDP is 011.  Since the IDPs vary by country, the International dialling prefix can be replaced by the plus symbol, +.

So the proper international texting format is + followed by Country Calling Code followed by Area Code followed by phone number.

To which country are you trying to send a SMS? Some countries (ie Ireland) have zeros preceding their area codes which are not included when using the international dialling/texting format.

If you do not get any error messages when attempting to send a MMS but your recipients do not receive the pictures, have they verified their data is enabled? Are they able to receive MMS from other people local to themselves?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

SachinS

Dear Cawtau,

Thank you for your reply.

I will answer your questions in the order as you have mentioned:

1. I do receive picture messages on my phone.

2. However, I have found I have succeeded in sending a picture message to select local numbers. Is it to do with setting in the unsuccessful recipient phone number. Can you let me know which specific setting needs to be changed to enable receiving of a picture/video message?

3. When the delivery is unsuccessful, I get this error message "Not delivered" in red font!

4. There is no issue with the format of the international number in which I have sent. The format is as suggested by you. I have also ensured the IDP of Nepal, where I am trying to send the message, is correct.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate your efforts to resolve my issue.

Warm Regards,

Sachin 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm curious if you're experiencing two separate issues...

But first, to clarify:

@SachinS wrote:...

4. There is no issue with the format of the international number in which I have sent. The format is as suggested by you. I have also ensured the IDP of Nepal, where I am trying to send the message, is correct....

The IDPs are the codes to get an International line from where you're making the call or sending messages. If you're making the call (sending messages) from Canada, you would need the IDP for Canada. You would only need the IDP for Nepal if you were making the call or sending messages from Nepal. That said, you can use the plus symbol (+) to replace the IDP codes. Judging by one of your replies above, it appears you are using the correct format.

With android phones, the settings for MMS are within the APN profiles. However, with iPhones, the settings should be pushed to the phone by the network. Since you are able to send MMS to some local numbers, it appears as those settings are correct. There shouldn't be any separate MMS settings for individual phone numbers.

**edit** Also to clarify, the local picture messages which were received were in fact MMS, and not iMessages?**

Were you at the same location when you were able to send MMS to local numbers as when you received the Not delivered message? With the messages which were not delivered, did you notice to which network the phone was connected and signal strength? Since the MMS is sent as data, it requires an adequate signal for data. I remember with my old phone -- which was not fully compatible with the networks -- I had to drive across town in order to get a strong enough signal to send/receive MMS. My location was perfectly fine for calls and SMS, but for MMS, I had to make the trek. Is it possible the area where you tried to send the non-delivered messages had weaker signal?

Are you able to receive MMS sent from Nepal? Are your intended recipients able to send/receive MMS from within Nepal? It's possible some of the networks over there are set up differently. Some of the providers do not operate '3G' networks (see here and here). While in theory MMS can be sent via LTE, it's difficult to ascertain the status of their LTE networks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

SachinS

Dear @Cawtau,

Thank you for the elaborate reply. My takeaways:

1. I will check the APN setting in the Android mobile that my recipient is using.

2. Will check if my recipient can send/receive MMS in his network.

3. I would not be able to comment on the strength of the mobile network at my recipient's place. The network is usually 2G, per my understanding. 

Thank you again for your reply.

Warm regards,

Sachin 

Hello again,

@SachinS wrote:..

3. I would not be able to comment on the strength of the mobile network at my recipient's place. The network is usually 2G, per my understanding...

I actually meant if you noticed the signal on your phone when you couldn't send the MMS to local numbers...

If their network is usually 2G, that could be the reason they are not able to receive the MMS. Data transfer on the 2G network is rather slow.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

SachinS

Dear @Cawtau,

I have been able to send picture messages to a few of the local Canadian mobile numbers. So there should not be an issue with my network.

I will, however, check if the issue could be at the end of the recipient.

Thank you again for your generosity shown in answering my doubt/problem.

Warm Regards,

Sachin

Hello again,

I apologise if I wasn't clear earler. I understand you have been able to send some picture messages to a few Canadian mobile numbers. I was trying to determine a possible reason why some of your picture messages to Canadian mobile numbers failed to send. Cellular reception is not static. The connection to the networks is constantly being assessed for the best possible connections given a particular location and situation. Even the same location with different circumstances might cause a phone to connect to a different network (ie 2G, '3G', or LTE).

I was just wondering if the reason some of your picture messages failed could have been a less than ideal connection.

Again, just to verify, the messages you were able to send, did they send as MMS or iMessages?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

SachinS

Hi @Cawtau,

No apologies, my friend. 

I understand the reason for the unsuccessful delivery has to be with the less than an ideal network connection. I second with your view on the occurrence of signal modulation even at the same place at different conditions. 

I was sending MMS and not iMessage.

Thank you for an enriching discussion on the topic.

Warm Regards,

Sachin

Hello @SachinS,

I saw another user had problems with text message and Fido did a reset to switch on their end and it sold that person problem. Call customer service and ask them to do a reset/resend to switch and see if it helps you.

If all else fails I would have to recommend a factory reset.

By the way do you have any ad blockers or antivirus installed? If so try disabling them and see if it resolves your problem.

SachinS

Hi KAPABLE-K,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have realized that I can send a picture message to select local numbers. Is it to do with the setting at the end of the recipient's phone?

As suggested, if I will also connect with customer care.

Thank you so much for your valued advice.

Have a great day.

Warm Regards,

Sachin 

@SachinS if you can send to local numbers then the problem must be on the receiving end, if I send a picture message to my family in South America they do not get it because the carrier down there is pretty bad.

SachinS

Dear @KAPABLE-K,

In my case, I think it has to be a two-pronged problem. One the network issue, as you have rightly mentioned. The other is should be phone setting issue, as I have not been able to send to local Canadian number too.

I appreciate your response and proactive participation.

Enjoy your day.

Warm Regards,

Sachin 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @SachinS,

Welcome to the community!

What exactly happens when you try to send the picture message?

You need to also make sure you have the number correct ( country code + area code + phone number ), the receiving party also needs to have the compatible service to receive a picture message also. 

SachinS

Hello KAPBALE-K,

Thank you for your reply.

The receiver mobile number is correctly entered in the format you have suggested [+(Country Code)(10 digit mobile no.)].

I am not sure if the recipient service is compatible. I will check on that.

However, I tried sending a picture message to a local Candian FIDO number from my iPhone. I came across the same problem. It says "Not Delivered".

Is there anything that I am missing?

I appreciate your time and enthusiasm to resolve my issue.

Warm Regards,

Sachin